Buying Season is Almost Here! What's your recommendation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mgj2727

Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Black Friday will be here in a few weeks, the holidays are pretty much here and... my Gen. 1 MES40 finally conked out (~5 years old, believe it's just the heating element, but probably due for a new smoker now anyway). I'd like to have folks recommendations of an electric smoker to replace the MES40 (Gen1).

Would you recommend another MES40 (and if so, which one). Or is there another brand that's out there in the market that would be better? I live in SoCal, will keep it covered with whatever covers comes with it, I use the Amazan Tube and Triangle w/pellets most often. Would like to keep it under $600 (see I can get a MES40 for $250ish). Any other good deals or recommendations?

Reactions: hewl35
will keep it covered with whatever covers comes with it

LOL!
I opened my MES 30 from the bottom of the box.
For months and months I had a custom cover with John Mclemore's smilin face on it.
Finally my local Lowe's figured out that selling smokers required they sell some sort of cover for it.... :confused:

I use wood chunks I have access to lots of Alder, Apple and Cherry wood for free. Also just got 3 pieces of Maple fire wood size so cut with my band saw into small pieces. about 2 in squares. Smokin it uses 2 to 4 oz of wood for a lot of smokes and works out well. Just get all together and in 4 hrs or so your rack of ribs is done.

I would also recommend one of the Smokin It smokers. I've had one for about 5 years now, left outside (covered) in rain, snow, hail, and anything else that mother nature could throw at it and it still looks new (until you open the door of course). As electric smokers go, these are great value for the money. They cost a bit more than an MES but you get a nice insulated stainless steel smoker. If I lost mine for whatever reason, I would definitely replace it with something from the same manufacturer.

I too am in the camp of admirers of the Smokin-it, and one day when my MES really conks out it will be first on my list.
With that said... I will bite and say a heating element replacement after 5 years (depending on use) aint so bad, and is a pretty simple replacement.

Is it too soon for anyone to post their smoker sales?

Is it too soon for anyone to post their smoker sales?

Probably. But just keep checking various smoker web sites and have your credit card ready when a sale is posted. Sometimes there are time limits measured in hours so now is the time to determine the exact make and model smoker you want.

Probably. But just keep checking various smoker web sites and have your credit card ready when a sale is posted. Sometimes there are time limits measured in hours so now is the time to determine the exact make and model smoker you want.

I see you've got the Smokin-It Model 3D. In your opinion, do you think it would look ok mounted on top of an outdoor bbq kitchen counter (same height as you'd get in a regular kitchen)? And do you think the controls would be easy enough to access?

Without the wheels mounted, from the feet to the top of the controller is roughly 27 1/2 inches. I am 6' 4" so I would not have a problem. I am guessing that at 6' 2" and lower, reading the display might be somewhat problematic since it is angled in an upward manner. If you are going to build an outdoor kitchen, just build a section with the countertop a few inches lower than the rest of the unit. Problem solved.

Black Friday will be here in a few weeks, the holidays are pretty much here and... my Gen. 1 MES40 finally conked out (~5 years old, believe it's just the heating element, but probably due for a new smoker now anyway). I'd like to have folks recommendations of an electric smoker to replace the MES40 (Gen1).

Would you recommend another MES40 (and if so, which one). Or is there another brand that's out there in the market that would be better? I live in SoCal, will keep it covered with whatever covers comes with it, I use the Amazan Tube and Triangle w/pellets most often. Would like to keep it under $600 (see I can get a MES40 for $250ish). Any other good deals or recommendations?

If you enjoyed your Gen #1 MES 40, I'd recommend the Gen #2.5 MES 40. It's the only one that's better than the Gen #1.
Here's more:
Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Pics (Digital Units)

Bear

Bear makes a very good point. If you enjoyed your MES, stick with it. But if you want all stainless in and out you have 3 choices - Smokin-it, SmokinTex, and Cookshack. All more expensive than the MES. There is a new smoker called SmokeTronix and I believe Masterbuilt owns the company manufacturing it. There are some reviews of it on this forum with photos. It comes down to what you want within your budget. We all have experience with what we own and generally stand by with what we bought. So don't let someone else's enthusiasm influence you. Don't let envy affect your decision. Read, research and go with what you are comfortable with. And as Bear said, if you enjoyed your MES, get another one.

Yeah, I don't know if MES makes any more Stainless inside & out.
My Gen #1 is SS inside & out, but I don't know if any of them are any more.

Bear

I'm leaning toward getting a Smokin-It, but want to wait and see if they've got a Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Small Business Saturday deal going on with either a nice discount or some good accessories.

I'm leaning toward getting a Smokin-It, but want to wait and see if they've got a Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Small Business Saturday deal going on with either a nice discount or some good accessories.

Discounts never happen till after you buy. Buy a house and a month later interest rates drop a point. Buy a new car? A month later rebates are offered. And the list goes on. Life (and purchases) is a crap shoot at times. Wait too long for a bargain and you find a price increase lurking around the corner. So ends today's lesson (from personal experience).

And boy howdy do people complain and raise a ruckus with the merchant. My generation just sucks it up and moves on. Life is short and stress and worry makes it even shorter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky