buying a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokedad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
NW Ohio
I'm finally going to bite the bullet and buy a smoker.  I have been using a Weber kettle with charcoal for my smokes so far, but I would like to get a non-charcoal one.  I think I have decided to get an electric one, but since I have never owned a smoker, I am looking for advice on which brand and model to get.  I have heard good things about Masterbuilt smokers, but I know that there are different opinions as to whether the older or newer versions are better.  I have a friend who has a Smoke Hollow smoker and loves it, and our local stores carry that brand and Char-Broil smokers, among others.  So what are your recommendations based on your experiences with your electric smokers?  Any help is appreciated. 

I have 2 4 rack Bradley's,(1 was a gift second one was given to me because they didn't use it)  I like them for certain things, But in the cold it is hard to regulate the temps unless you wrap it. I have had good luck with mine but again everyone has there own opinions. What do you plan on using it for? If I were to buy my own I would probably go with a Green Mountain Grill for a grill for electric, For electric vertical smoker It's wide open, Probably masterbuilt as I have heard a lot of good things about them. Chk reviews and cust. service reviews and of course this forum will be loaded. Good luck. My 2 cents.....

smokedadI highly recommend the Smokin-it line of electric smokers. I own the Model 3D and it has never disappointed.  I owned a Cookshak for several years and never had a failure or a problem and passed that on to my son when I got the 3D. I would read the many posts on SMF and get a good idea of the good and the bad for each type smoker. These links should get you started.  Your budget will dictate what you get, as well as the comments, good or bad that you read in the links.  Each brand in the links does have a website with a lot of information so check them out as well. By the way, Smokin-it has just introduced a new model - 3.5D; and Smoke Hollow the Smoke-Tronix (which is talked about in the smoke hollow link). Good luck!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=smokin-it

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=Smoke+hollow+electric

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/newsearch?search=cookshack

Last edited:
Have you thought about getting a WSM 22.5?

Your already familiar with the Weber quality, and you will still get the charcoal/wood flavor.

Add a BBQ Guru setup & it's just as set & forget as an electric!

Al

I agree with Smoking AI on the WSM 22.5" and BBQ Guru set up.

Whenever I get a urge to learn something new I go all out and try to learn as much as possible about a subject before investing any money in it.

The reviews for the WSM were constantly positive, so I went that way.  Economically speaking, at $400 and a 10 yr warranty that equates to $40/yr to use.  I had to replace a $200 grill in under 2 years ($100/yr) because it was falling apart from rivets melting and rust, basically substandard materials, IMO. (Just in case there are any legal implications for badmouthing Better Homes & Gardens I won't tell you which manufacturer I'm mean).

The reviews for electric smokers were constant also, but mostly saying the elements burn out and are not replaceable. That means buying a new one whenever it goes kaput.

I didn't want to go LP for cost or wood, living in corn country there are not a lot of trees to burn.

A year after buying the WSM we visited with friends in Hawaii. They had the small box (glass front) LP smoker.  I used it a couple of times, but never cottoned to it.  I'm not a tall person (5'10-11"), but I swear if it's all I had I would need to place it on top of a table to save all that bending over.

Still, we buy what we think we will like.  Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

@HB99 It took me six months following the electric smoker forum before ordering two mes 40 gen 1. One came dented with cosmetic blemishes but not worth returning. I've had them for a year and a half but use the dented one. The other I seasoned for a back up that came in handy when my heating element lugs failed in eight months. The top plastic door trim is splitting and breaking off but no problems. If a controller or element fails that's when it gets gutted for spare parts and gets recycled. When the other that I used once fails and those spare parts fail, then I'll PID and get elements when they fail. I have a kamado and a large charcoal grill but need to get low down to 150*F for sausage so I'll always have an electric and for over night smokes I don't have to babysit
-Kurt

thanks, everyone, for your replies.  As I am a newbie to smoking, I would use my smoker mostly for things like pork loin, pork butt for pulled pork, chicken, ribs, brisket, fatties, etc, for the time being.  I would probably wait to master those before trying things like cold smoking that require low temps.  Maybe that will help with someone's advice?

thanks, everyone, for your replies.  As I am a newbie to smoking, I would use my smoker mostly for things like pork loin, pork butt for pulled pork, chicken, ribs, brisket, fatties, etc, for the time being.  I would probably wait to master those before trying things like cold smoking that require low temps.  Maybe that will help with someone's advice?
I don't think cold smoking when you have cool temps outdoors is synonymous with anything insulated. As a matter of fact the exact opposite. That's why I will never cold smoke in the Mes or direct sunlight on the cold smoking chamber that holds the product. I think the Mes cold smoker attachment is great for people that use chips when hot smoking that don't like to use pellets so they don't have to babysit the chip loader that comes with the Mes. I pipe TBS into my cold heavy guage steel grill as a heat siink off center from the food. The pic below is last Spring's cheese smoke. Don't ever wait when you can seize the opportunity. Cold smoking is simple. I usually stop when the chamber temp hits 80*F.
AMNPS MAILBOX MOD

AMNTS UP OFF THE BOTTOM OF A 2'X3" ALUMINUM VENT PIPE. I JUST BENT A HANGER BACK AND FORTH AND SLID IT IN THE TUBE SO THE AMNTS GOT AIR UNDERNEATH.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky