Buttermilk Biscuits....easy!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those biscuits look sooo good. The pics with them in the skillet took me back a few years to when I was a kid.

Kat, I grew up in north Alabama and never saw anything but White Lily in my Mama's and Grandmother's pantry. My wife is from Atlanta and that's all she will use, too.

Thanks for the recipe, the way you broke it down I think even I can do a batch. I'll give it a try this weekend!

Those biscuits look sooo good. The pics with them in the skillet took me back a few years to when I was a kid.

Kat, I grew up in north Alabama and never saw anything but White Lily in my Mama's and Grandmother's pantry. My wife is from Atlanta and that's all she will use, too.

Thanks for the recipe, the way you broke it down I think even I can do a batch. I'll give it a try this weekend!
I used to use another brand....but White Lily has got to be the silkiest flour I have ever used.  Use the AP, SR and their Corn meal too.  Let me know how you like it!
Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you!

These are awesome!

From this day forward biscuits as I know them will forever change.

Never again will I crack open a cardboard tube over a cookie sheet.

Thank you from the bottom of my biscuit eating heart!
Awww...good recipes are for sharing!!!  Those are some gorgeous biscuits!!!!  Easy and taste sooo good!

I am adding this post to Kathryns thread at her request.  It is not a hi-jack.

I thought you might like a slight variation to your recipe since it is almost identical with one exception.  Notice how close the ingredients and the amounts are with a couple of exceptions.  This is for cheese biscuits and it is awsome.  No better than your recipe but slightly different with a little different taste for those who love cheese.  I got this recipe from a relative so it is not ioriginal with me.

2 cups SR flour (I use Lilly White and sometimes Martha White)

1/3 cup shortening

1/4 stick butter, melted

1 cup buttermilk

1tsp baking powder

1 pinch salt

1 tsp sugar

3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar

In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt to taste, and the sugar.  Use a fork to cut in the shortening until it becomes sort of like cornmeal.  Add the cheese along with the buttermilk and stir until blended.  Careful not to over stir.  Drop tablespoonfulls on to a greased cookie sheet and brush the dough with melted butter.  Bake at 350 degrees for about fifteen minutes.

I just thought that you might find this to be a refreshing change for you and your family.  Especially those who are fond of cheese.

Looks great Toby!  Glad you enjoyed them!  
yahoo.gif

Last edited:
Kat....you are not going to believe what I did!!!!

Your biscuit recipe is so easy anyone could do it - apparently anyone but me...
30.gif

So in less than 5 minutes I had the dough prepared and dropped into a cake pan ('cause I don't have a cast iron skillet - YET).

I popped them into a 450* oven and after 20 minutes they just weren't browning properly - didn't look right.  I pour the butter on and bake for a few more minutes...

My son comes in about the time I am turning them onto a plate...I'm not happy...they don't look right, just thick and kinda flat and wet lookin'....so Brad says "they have yeast in them?" and I give myself the V8 smack on the forehead!!!  Dang!  I used AP instead of SR flour....knew it as soon as I saw the biscuits.  I pulled flour out of the wrong container - checked and my SR canister is empty...

Trying again as soon as Steph gets home from the store with my SR flour!

I am so ashamed....
icon_redface.gif
  dangit!

Bill

Funny Bill!  I have made an entire pound cake using the SR flour and not AP.  That cake spilled in my oven floor and stuck it's self to the cake pan like concrete!  Feel your pain dear!

Wanna see the good batch!  LOL

Steph went out to get her hair done and is picking up the SR on the way home....could be about midnight before the biscuits are done...just sayin'  
icon_rolleyes.gif

Well I did the same thing last weekend and couldn't figure it out. I thought I followed the recipe exactly, guess I didn't know what "SR" flour was, I thought any old flour would work. I gave up on the idea of making biscuits until I read this. Guess I'm going to have to get some "SR" and give it another try!

Oh Kat one other thing, I don't know if the flour made a difference but when I put the dough in the skillet it didn't even come close to filling it up like yours did in the picture. I used a 10" skillet.

Dave----my skillet is about 8 inches and that maybe why.  I have one of the smaller "old versions".....I will remember to actually put Self Rising in the recipe from now on.  This one is the only recipe that I use "SR" flour with!

I will get on the recipe and change it to the correct wordings.

Kat

I should have figured out what it meant or asked. As soon as I read the word "yeast" in Bill's post it hit me what "SR" meant!

WOW!!!! My complete failure actually helped someone...that is awesome!!!!!!

Gosh I love this forum....
biggrin.gif

Bill
Yes it did!!!

I learn a lot more from making mistakes than when everything goes right, in all aspects of life!

WOW!!!! My complete failure actually helped someone...that is awesome!!!!!!

Gosh I love this forum....
biggrin.gif

Bill
Yes it did!!!

I learn a lot more from making mistakes than when everything goes right, in all aspects of life!
Hey.....  they are not mistakes....... VALUABLE LEARNING EXPERIENCES !!!!!!! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky