ButterBall boneless breast.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
My first go with a boneless breast. I've done a couple regular breasts. The first was meh, kinda dry and not very flavorful. The second was excellent. Now it's time to try the boneless one. From all I've read. They come out great.

PB260090.JPG

3 pound boneless Butterball. Thawed. And gravy packet tossed.

PB260091.jpg

PB260094.jpg

Injected with butter, garlic and onion powder, and lemon juice. Then got a generous rub of pepper and garlic/pepper rub.

PB260102.jpg

A touch over 3 hours at 265 degrees with hickory pellets. Pulled at 155 IT. Should get to 160-165 after it rests. Smells great!

My first go with a boneless breast. I've done a couple regular breasts. The first was meh, kinda dry and not very flavorful. The second was excellent. Now it's time to try the boneless one. From all I've read. They come out great.

View attachment 412812

3 pound boneless Butterball. Thawed. And gravy packet tossed.

View attachment 412813

View attachment 412814

Injected with butter, garlic and onion powder, and lemon juice. Then got a generous rub of pepper and garlic/pepper rub.

View attachment 412816

A touch over 3 hours at 265 degrees with hickory pellets. Pulled at 155 IT. Should get to 160-165 after it rests. Smells great!
Did my first one a few weeks ago on the Weber Kettle offset heat. Posted pics. It was great. Will do another one very soon. Saw one done by Malcolm Reed on YouTube and did it the same way.
TURKEY DONE 1.jpg

SLICED TURKEY 1.jpg

Very moist and tender. And very easy smoke.

Last edited:
Steve,
To be honest, I never really cared for the boneless turkey roasts.
But DAMN! Yours looks fantastic.

I've had the frozen ones that come with the gravy that are just heat and serve. They suck! And I'm not sure if I would have these without being smoked either. But with the rub and being injected. It is really quite good. I'm taking a turkey sandwich to work tomorrow even though I'm only working 4 hours.

I've had the frozen ones that come with the gravy that are just heat and serve. They suck! And I'm not sure if I would have these without being smoked either. But with the rub and being injected. It is really quite good. I'm taking a turkey sandwich to work tomorrow even though I'm only working 4 hours.

Now that you mention it, the last one we did a few years back may have been one of those heat and eat types.
And yes, those suck.

Reactions: Steve H
Looks good! I was planning on picking one up tomorrow. Seems like the boneless are always good but I've had the same luck with bone in breasts, ones great then the next one is meh. I bought a heat & serve last week. Didn't really like it so I thought I'd add a bit at a time to my dogs food. Her stomach was messed up for 3 days. If it made a bulldog sick you know it was bad!

That looks great! I picked one up recently and is currently curing for smomed turkey pastrami. Now seeing this i wish i would have picked up a second one to inject and smoke! Nice job!

Steve, I think you’re gonna love those boneless roasts. If you inject or brine them they come out awesome!!! I make these a lot. I have 5 in the freezer now.

If you do like them, keep your eye open after Thanksgiving because they go on a pretty deep discount.

That looks great! I picked one up recently and is currently curing for smomed turkey pastrami. Now seeing this i wish i would have picked up a second one to inject and smoke! Nice job!

Have you made turkey pastrami from these before? The turkey in the netting contains multiple pieces...does it stay in one piece after the longer brine and smoke? If so, I need to do this!!!!

Steve, I think you’re gonna love those boneless roasts. If you inject or brine them they come out awesome!!! I make these a lot. I have 5 in the freezer now.

If you do like them, keep your eye open after Thanksgiving because they go on a pretty deep discount.

Have you made turkey pastrami from these before? The turkey in the netting contains multiple pieces...does it stay in one piece after the longer brine and smoke? If so, I need to do this!!!!
This is the first from one of these. We shall find out!

I will be getting more to keep frozen. They also have a boneless breast Cajun spiced one. Anybody tried these?

I will be getting more to keep frozen. They also have a boneless breast Cajun spiced one. Anybody tried these?
I saw those also. Im curious how they are as well. I also saw anther one. Garlic herb? And they also had one that was a mix of white and dark meats.

Looks great...I too have been a Thigh man, but last year Bev brought home a Bone-in Breast, for extra White Meat and a Whole Turkey. The only Leftovers were Dark Meat. This year, we have just 2 Breasts on the bone. I will bone them out to make stock, then Season, Roll and Tie the meat.
I've not had a Heat and Eat, can't imagine they are cooked properly from the start. But a 50 year old favorite of both Bev and I grew up on? Jenny-O Turkey Loaf! Turkey Meatloaf in a pan, with Gravy! God only knows what's in that Loaf Pan but it sure is Tasty!...JJ

15748088005671417825557.png

Looks great Steve. I do these a couple at a time and use the slicer for lunchmeat. Wife and I love it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky