Butter on the counter....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Grew up with my mother leaving it on the counter, except in the heat of the summer. Ernestina was visiting a friend in AZ that does a lot of cooking, claims that leaving it out like this will turn it rancid....do you folks leave your butter on the counter?

I'm sure if its out long enough it will, but mine doesn't stick around that long.  Always  have a 1/4lb in the dish on the counter.  Course its not as hot around here as Arizona, it was a sweltering 68* on the weekend.

Depends how long is out, salted or not. We always have some in a butter dish on the counter. The non-salted butter will go rancid faster....but that only happened once, when we forgot to empty the dish before going on vacation. With normal household use I don't think 1/4 lb can get rancid. Make sure is covered.

Last edited:
My grandparents used a butter bell on the counter. A two piece holder that held the butter in a bell shaped dome that was placed upside down into a bowl that contained a little water. This kept the air from coming in contact with the butter. I don't have any idea how long it kept butter from going rancid. I just remember seeing it every time I went there.
We just ordered one...never it existed time earlier today...

My grandparents used a butter bell on the counter. A two piece holder that held the butter in a bell shaped dome that was placed upside down into a bowl that contained a little water. This kept the air from coming in contact with the butter. I don't have any idea how long it kept butter from going rancid. I just remember seeing it every time I went there.

We have a few like this that were passed on. Room temperature butter just tastes better in my opinion.

I am just the opposite! My Butter must be Cold and Hard for Rolls, Bagels and Bread. I love the texture and temp contrast between Hot Bread and Cold Hard Butter. I add a pat as I go rather than buttering the whole thing. I know, I'm weird....
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
I do soften butter for Toast, Baked Sweet Potatoes and Corn...JJ

Covered dish on the counter for me.

It just tears everything apart trying to use hard butter.

Besides I think it has more and better taste that way.

Ed 

Our butter always sits uncovered in a dish up in the cupboard.  It has never gone rancid, but then it never lasts that long either.  BTW, the cupboard the butter sits in is above the dishwasher, and beside the stove and microwave--probably not the smartest place to deep it.

Gary

My grandparents used a butter bell on the counter. A two piece holder that held the butter in a bell shaped dome that was placed upside down into a bowl that contained a little water. This kept the air from coming in contact with the butter.
Seems like a good idea. Almost bought one a few years back but decided against it. Don't really need it, I mainly use butter for cooking.

But recently the wife has moved to a more modern method...
Try making your own soft refrigerator butter.

Mix a stick of real 100% butter with same quantity of a good flavorless oil (1/2 cup stick to 1/2 cup of oil, etc...).  I then blend with a stick blender.  You can make a $3 tub butter for about $0.50 this way.  Plus you know what in it (no margarine).  You can use more or less oil for harder or softer consistency in the fridge.  I find the 50/50 mix perfect. I also use salted butter for this.  If you leave it out on the counter to room temp the oil will want to separate back out, but it can be re-blended.  Not a perfect substitute for 100% butter in a room temp storage bell, but it tastes like 100% butter and spreads like the high dollar refrigerator blend.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky