Butt Rub ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr500

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Auburn Al
whats the longest time that you guys have left butts in the fridge AFTER you have rubbed and wrapped them?

The length of time allowed by the label "use-by" date, freeze/thaw, etc, should be considered. I generally don't go longer than 12 hours, unless I just brought it home from the store in the last day or so, and have some extra days left on the "ticking clock". 8 hours or more will get the salts from the rub working on the surface pretty well for adhering the rub and aiding in forming the beginnings of your bark (if that's your method). Most of the time I don't wrap and rest in the fridge at all, unless I'm trying to prep ahead to save time for a middle of the night start-up on a smoke, but the method does have it's merits.

Eric

I have no input.  I'm only writing because the title of the thread made me laugh.

Me too.....

th_HaHa7_ani.gif

I generally go three hours to overnight depending on my schedule. I have however had one resting overnight and something came up the next day and postponed my smoke another day. They smoked up just fine.

I have not rubbed them down yet. There still in the fridge. Been there since monday. Ill rubb them when I get off in the AM (2:00) and put them on fri afternoone after I wake up. The sell by date is 4/14/2012 so I should be ok.

I have not rubbed them down yet. There still in the fridge. Been there since monday. Ill rubb them when I get off in the AM (2:00) and put them on fri afternoone after I wake up. The sell by date is 4/14/2012 so I should be ok.

Yeah, you're good to go with that plan. Well within the label date, and overnight rub/wrap/rest...no problem. Guess I misunderstood what your main concern was at first, but it's cool.

Have a great smoke!

Eric

Hey thanks guys. Appreciate it

2:15 am.

About time to leave work and go rubb them butts!!!

To answer your original question...AFTER Rubbing I have gone Three days before it went in the smoker without issue. I thought it tasted pretty good and there was a lot of flavor penetration from the Rub...I probably would wait longer than over night all the time but am rarely that organized...JJ

Interesting....My next cook I think ill rubb at an earlier time. See what the flavors are after it sits. hummmm

I rub mine a minumum of 18 hours but I prefer letting them sit in the frig with rub on them for 24-48 hours. Then I inject them just before I smoke them and hit them again with some rub then on the smoker...Makes killer pulled pork....
439.gif

I make my rub (Used store bought before I found this site) pour one or two cups into a large pot or 3 gal bag add 3 cups of vinegar, 3 cups of apple juice and water to cover then soak the butt 24 to 48 hours. Take it out of the brine two hours before cooking to warm up and most of the time add the remaining rub via mustard. Might not even bother with the rub since it has already absorbed much of it. I have one I soaked in my brine for 72 hours that is not getting rubbed that meets the smoke tomorrow. I do butts for slicing, not pulled so bark is not a big issue but still enjoyed when present.  

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky