Burning that ole skunk.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
.....soaked dog bedding! Yep, my mallinois got past me the other night while I was putting him in the garage and he took off to go do what he does best......kill!
Was gone about 45 minutes or so and came back just as proud as he could be with his "spicey" trophy! He already had it in his kennel and there is no way I was going in there to try to take it from him! So locked the kennel, opened the garage doors and turned a fan on.
A couple of super fun baths later and the removal and burning of everything in his kennel......we're at 90 some % stink free!
20240518_131430.jpg

After Brutus' "Everything shower"!

Hah! Be a good time to try some of the smell eliminating spray called “Poof” they have it a Wally World or on Amazon, I have some but haven’t found anything stinky to spray it on. They claim it kills even skunk spray on a molecular level. Duno.

Otherwise I used to have a recipe for skunk spray wash that included hydrogen peroxide and Dawn dish soap, worked surprisingly well on a lab I had that hated skunks.

I worked on a neighbor's ranch through high school and the first couple of summers of college. I still remember the day the foreman ran a skunk through the baler. The skunk had apparently been hiding in the windrow, and got picked up with the hay.

The bad bale was hauled out to the back 40 and left. No attempt was made to clean the baler, it was just parked farther away from any of the buildings for the rest of the season.

Hate it when that happens. I had me a skunk trapping session last year (during season of course) to thin the herd after one of our dogs decided to use it as a play toy a couple of times in a row. Caught 6 of em. Still some around cuz I smelled them this spring during mating season but havent seen them. Think we used peroxide and baking soda to de-stink plus they make shampoos that help too. Had to buy new collars but were able to save the dog beds.

I fell asleep turkey hunting one time , only to wake up to a skunk scratching around right next to me . As much as I wanted to jump up I fought the urge , and it finally walked off .

Hah! Be a good time to try some of the smell eliminating spray called “Poof” they have it a Wally World or on Amazon, I have some but haven’t found anything stinky to spray it on. They claim it kills even skunk spray on a molecular level. Duno.

Otherwise I used to have a recipe for skunk spray wash that included hydrogen peroxide and Dawn dish soap, worked surprisingly well on a lab I had that hated skunks.
I should probably invest in some of that Poof just to have around! I did mix up a quart of peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and dawn soap for both baths. Did ok, just a really thick coat to try to work that all into!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
My Lab got sprayed as we were walking to our blind when goose hunting. Wasn't the most enjoyable day in the field with her reeking of skunk. Didn't affect her retrieving though.
I have a similar story. We were setting decoys out and usually always let my lab run a bit when doing so, so he could get his excited poops out. We are about waist deep and in a 20 mph wind when it hits us. We start laughing assuming someone on the other side of the reservoir climbed into their blind and startled one point blank! Then BAM! Budman comes splashing by us and it was like getting uppercut! He spent the morning tied outside of the blind in the cattails.....he was pissed he couldnt be inside with dad and his friend lol

I fell asleep turkey hunting one time , only to wake up to a skunk scratching around right next to me . As much as I wanted to jump up I fought the urge , and it finally walked off .
Nerves of steel! lol

Reactions: JLinza
I should probably invest in some of that Poof just to have around! I did mix up a quart of peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and dawn soap for both baths. Did ok, just a really thick coat to try to work that all into!
That's what we use as well! Thankfully our dogs switched to possums. One of the last times they played with a skunk was about 10 pm, just before bedtime . Two dogs, house dogs... had to call dad for more peroxide.
Maybe should get some poof just in case... but have plenty of peroxide on hand now.
And Rich, chopsaw chopsaw was hoping shoo kitty, shoo, go away!

Ryan

A buddy of mine had a skunk family move in his college rental house crawl space and one night something must have set them off as he woke up breathing skunk……. Everything he owned, including his own skin was skunky….. he was forced to sit in the back corner of the class rooms for 2 weeks…. His misery sure was funny to the whole engineering school!!! Even one of the professors brought a can of tomato soup in for him…..his response was he had already tried that MANY times…..but he gladly accepted the food cause he had to buy all new clothes!

• Haha
Reactions: Buckeyedude
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky