BURGUNDY BEEF STEW - SOUS VIDE STYLE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Well I wasn't sure where to post this so since it's mainly a beef dish I put it in beef. We make this all the time in the winter, when chuck roasts go on sale. Only this time we decided to SV the chuck & add it to the stew at the end, so it wouldn't over cook the meat. Here is the original recipe that we loosely followed, but it has all the ingredients in it. I just took a photo of it out of Judy's cookbook, rather than typing it all down. The VVVVVG under the servings is our rating system.V=very.

1.JPG

Here is the chuck, the normal cost around here is usually at least $5.99 lb.

2.JPG

I rubbed the chuck down with SPOG.

3.JPG

Put it in a vac bag.

4.JPG

And filled up the Cambro.

5.JPG

While it was filling I double sealed the bag.

6.JPG

And heated up the water.

7.JPG

I have to thank Bear for doing the legwork on this, he has been experimenting with different times & temps with his SV. So I used his numbers. 133 degrees for 21 hours.
8.JPG

All set up & now we wait.

9.JPG

Fast forward to the next day & here are the ingredients for the stew. I probably forgot to put something up here, but it's all in the ingredient list in the recipe.

10.JPG

It's been 21 hours & the meat is done.

11.JPG

I took it out of the SV, but left it in the bag & put it in a pan.

12.JPG

Then added ice to stop the cooking process.

13.JPG

Next we put all the ingredients for the stew together & put them in the oven to cook for a couple of hours.

14.JPG

In the meantime I cubed up the chuck. I have to say the meat was incredible, thanks again Bear for figuring out the time & temp. If you would have blindfolded me & gave me a sample of the meat I would have said it's one of the best ribeyes I have ever tasted.

15.JPG

After cubing it up, we browned it for just a minute or so.

16.JPG

Then it went into the stew.

17.JPG

Next step is de-glazing the pan with some red wine.

18.JPG

Have to get all that good stuff off the bottom, then that goes into the stew.

19.JPG

Now into a 200 degree oven just to get the meat & stew flavors to marry, but try not to cook the meat anymore.

20.JPG

After about 1/2 hour it's done & ready to eat!

21.JPG

Judy like hers with the garlic mashed potato's on the side!

22.JPG

I like mine with the stew on top of the potato's.

23.JPG

All I can say about this stew is the meat was the real show stopper. It was like having beef stew with chunks of filet mignon in it. I hardly ever have seconds, but I had 2 full plates of this for dinner last night. I think I may go back to the store & pick up a couple of more chucks for the freezer, cause the sale goes thru Wed. & I know that I will be making this again real soon!!!
Thanks for looking guys!
Al

That's the magic time and temp for sure . I'm with you on the prime rib comment . Mash in the stew ,, man that makes me hungry . 14* here today .
I like to go into Publix when we go south .
Nice meal !

Looks great! Another good use of Sous Vide style cooking. I can just taste the difference that SV would make in the texture and taste of the meat in the stew.

Like your SV Cambro setup with the clips. Smaller version of my cooler mod. May have to steal that one for smaller pieces of meat.

Weedeater

Aw, Man!!!
That looks Freaking Awesome!!:)
The SV is truly a Miracle Machine!!
Glad to hear my Time & Temp worked good for you Al---Wish I was there for a Bowl.
Like.

Bear

Oh..to be able to taste that bite of meat at the bottom of the last pic with some mashed tater on the spoon!
Screen_Shot_2015-10-05_at_12.16.11_PM.0.0.jpg
(Awakens from drooling trance)
Ahem -Wonderful Al!

Bill

Great job! Looks awesome!

That's the magic time and temp for sure . I'm with you on the prime rib comment . Mash in the stew ,, man that makes me hungry . 14* here today .
I like to go into Publix when we go south .
Nice meal !

Looks great! Another good use of Sous Vide style cooking. I can just taste the difference that SV would make in the texture and taste of the meat in the stew.

Like your SV Cambro setup with the clips. Smaller version of my cooler mod. May have to steal that one for smaller pieces of meat.

Weedeater

Aw, Man!!!
That looks Freaking Awesome!!:)
The SV is truly a Miracle Machine!!
Glad to hear my Time & Temp worked good for you Al---Wish I was there for a Bowl.
Like.

Bear

Al, That is one tasty looking stew !!!!!!!

That looks fantastic, Al! This is another one I need to add to my already long list of things to cook

Oh..to be able to taste that bite of meat at the bottom of the last pic with some mashed tater on the spoon!
View attachment 350243
(Awakens from drooling trance)
Ahem -Wonderful Al!

Bill

Thanks for the kind words and likes guys!
It is much appreciated!
Al

Man!
Very nice sir.
Point to ya!

I see parsley and some other herb that is green.. what is that one?
Edit.. I never saw thyme so big if that's thyme.. haha.. looks like lemon thyme .. home grown?

Last edited:
Looks really good Al, I picked up a couple myself. Bookmarked!

BTW, the sale ends tomorrow on Tuesday the 16th!

Thank-you!
I'm heading over there today to pick up a couple more.
Al

Man!
Very nice sir.
Point to ya!

I see parsley and some other herb that is green.. what is that one?
Edit.. I never saw thyme so big if that's thyme.. haha.. looks like lemon thyme .. home grown?

Good eye Buddy!
Yes that's homegrown lemon thyme!
Al

Great looking meal Al, it sure would taste good on these sub-zero nights. I'm not sure how I missed this one, but you guys with your SV's are starting to sell/convince me that a 21hr cook is worth it.

Point for sure.

Chris

Looks incredible. So, browning the chunks post SV does not ruin them? Seems almost too good to be true..

Thanks Justin!
It's a great meal on a cold day, but we cook it in the summer too!
It's hearty & delicious, and the SV makes it even better!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky