Burger meat question??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Brisket is around 10.00/lb here - so that would be some expensive burger meat. For us anyway.

Chris

No it makes great burgers, Kroger is $2.99 right now so cheaper than a lot of burger I am seeing, lose some when most of the fat is removed but still cheaper imo

I've got a twelve pounder in the freezer that was $2.49lb and headed for my grinder. RAY

Brisket is very often cheaper than Chuck here. Grind it up!

After grinding brisket trim for burgers , I've been grinding briskets for all my ground beef . I bought 3 at $3.29 a lb . So it was cheaper anyway . That was before all this crap took over .
I grind the whole thing though , never tried just the flat .
I patty some up , the the rest goes into cheap storage bags at 1 1/4 pounds . Then into a 2 gallon freezer bag . Gets used fast so I don't waste vac bags .
20200419_112608.jpg 20200419_112612.jpg

Reactions: Bearcarver
I do it, they are great burgers. under normal times and prices its a good way to go. Last one I ground was fattier than I had hoped, but that just gave me a few pounds of fat for tallow :).

My goto for grinding is chuck roasts. they are juicy, easy to trim and not expensive. Brisket made a comparable burger, but the trimming workload was higher.

I think we were $9 +/ lb last time I looked . Darn expensive burger. Glad I had a bunch of pork butts to grind and mix with venison to suffice burger needs.

Reactions: chopsaw
Grind away! Ive been grinding briskets through a 1/4" plate. Some of the best burgers ive had!

Ive been grinding briskets through a 1/4" plate
my grinder came with three plates. I use the middle one...no clue the size. it buried due to the kitchen reno...Medium grind is what I call it...bahaha

my grinder came with three plates. I use the middle one...no clue the size. it buried due to the kitchen reno...Medium grind is what I call it...bahaha
Lol. Id say if its medium its close to 1/4". Id like to get a 1/2" plate for mine. That would make good size for chunky chilli!

I would like to hear y'all's strategy for grinding brisket for burgers. The first time I did it, I ground the WHOLE thing. 1 pass with a ~8mm plate (~5/16"). The burgers were a bit tough and stringy. After reading here, I tried again yesterday. This time ~3 lb of flat trimmings and 0.75 lb hunk of fat. I did one pass with 8mm plate then tried a second pass with 6mm. The second pass was a disaster with the 6mm plate plugging up with skin. I switched to the 8mm plate with about the same results. The result was somewhat mushy but made a decent burger. Next time I think I will do only one pass with the 6mm plate. What do ya'll do?

I grind the whole thing , after it's cleaned up of everything I don't want to eat .
One pass thru 1/4 inch plate .

Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky