Burger Di Pollo Alla Caprese, Head to Head Challenge with sowsage!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Please check out Sowsage's post at https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...oaf-challenge-with-disco.303423/#post-2158591 and vote on which dish you like better, his meatloaf or my sandwich by commenting on one of the posts.

I have been impressed with the posts and efforts by sowsage. When he posted a picture of a Caprese salad I had a crazy idea. I challenged him to a Caprese inspired recipe challenge. We would each do a Caprese inspired dish and would ask you guys to vote on which was better.

It likely wasn’t wise. Sowsage does some tasty food! However, no one loses when you have fun making a new dish.

My recipe was a Burger Di Pollo Alla Caprese, A fried chicken thigh with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and a balsamic vinaigrette on a soft Italian roll.

Here’s how to make it.

Start by making the balsamic vinaigrette. Mix the following in a sealable container:

• 15 ml (1 tablespoon) Dijon mustard
  • 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) finely chopped onion
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) salt
  • 1/2 ml (1/8 teaspoon) ground black pepper
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoons) sugar
  • 25 ml (2 tablespoons) balsamic vinegar
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil)
Seal the container and shake until well mixed.

Burger Di Pollo Alla Caprese 01.jpg

Take a boneless skinless chicken thigh and put it between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound it to 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick with a mallet or heavy pot.

Put 40 ml (3 tbsp) of flour and 10 ml (2 tsp) of dried basil on a plate and mix them together. Put the thigh on the flour and turn to coat.

Heat 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat until shimmering. Put the chicken in the fry pan.

Burger Di Pollo Alla Caprese 02.jpg

Cook the chicken until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.

Burger Di Pollo Alla Caprese 04.jpg

While the chicken is cooking, put slices of fresh mozzarella to cover both sides of a soft Italian roll. Put tomato slices over the cheese and put under a broiler or overhead heat in a toaster oven. Chiffonade (slice to strips) three basil leaves.

Take the buns out when the edges start to brown.

Burger Di Pollo Alla Caprese 03.jpg

Put the chicken on the bun, top with the basil and spoon 10 ml (2 teaspoons) of the balsamic vinaigrette over the chicken. Put the top of the bun on and serve.

Burger Di Pollo Alla Caprese 05.jpg

Burger Di Pollo Alla Caprese 06.jpg

The Verdict

This is a great sandwich! The chicken was so moist that juice was running down my hand while I was eating it. The fresh mozzarella gives a great stringy chew from being broiled and the toasting gave the tomatoes a real pop. The balsamic vinaigrette, with the cheese and tomatoes paid homage to a great Caprese salad.

I love this sandwich and thank sowsage for the inspiration!

I know that sowsage will come up with a great dish and everyone will win with two great new dishes!

Disco

Last edited:
Looks great disco! I bet that was delicious! The vinaigrette sounds perfect!Now I must go make a sandwich! like!

Looks extremely delicious and perfectly blended flavors Disco. I'd descibe it as simply complicated, lol. Very nice work. Big like.

Disco, you and Travis sure do make for a difficult decision! Thanks for this tho, it's been alot of fun watching this and seeing the great dishes that you both came up with! I would gladly sit down and enjoy both meals. Thanks to you both I now have two new things to try!

Great job!
Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky