Building this new garden is killing me.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you can find a local greenhouse they usually have piles of old potting soil that they through away. (They do not reuse it do to the the fact that there may be a disease mixed in the soil and they do not want it to spread).

You should be able to get a pickup load and mix that in the soil.

Remember bartering with smoked meat will get you just about anything you need

true, but I also don't want any of their disease as well!!! I already paid for the dirt, it was not too bad and considering this is going to take at least 8 yards!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Understand. The plants that they are growing are mostly starters and are highly sensitive to disease. Most cases with a garden that is not a big deal. The other option is to use this as filler for the bottom (good drainage) and then place some good soil on the top. You sure do have a nice set up going there

Just today saw your garden plans and they look like a great use of space. Looks like a nice layout, however I'd be wary about the ties. Are they treated? I'm still learning my gardening and my preference is more to the organic side so that's where I'm coming from. I"ve allways heard that alot of ties are treated with really nasty chemicals. Over time they can leach the chemicals out into the dirt which is then absorbed by the plants. I know there are also people who say they have used them for years with no problem. So there is a debate about that, but I wish you luck with the garden. Today I need to plant my pickling cukes and giant pumpkins.

yea the ties are treated, but are pretty old also so most of the oil is already leached out. I'm not too worried about the effect as we will mostly be planting away from them, but time will tell........ got the 8 yards dumped in the driveway this morning and the boy and I are working on moving it......amazing how much 8 yards is.....
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

Looking good smoked!!! LOL..... Last year we had 12 yards of mulch deliverd
icon_eek.gif
so I can imagine how much work is is to move 8 yards of heavy soil. It's gonna be great when your finished!!!!
icon_wink.gif

yea, both of us are just dying now, and it's dang hot outside. looking for a place to fit about half a yard still, needless to say the garden is full and the front section is hilled so the little lady can do her lavander in there.....but man I'm beat and still have more dirt to move.......
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

okay, finally got the last of the dirt located......meaning some of it went back into the garden and I'll have to figure out the rest of the grading tomorrow as I'm too tired, too sore and way too sunburned to do anything else today........did I mention moving dirt sucks?

here are pics of before I brought in the last dirt......
b1abb2fe_vbattach12810.jpg

d13e4de7_vbattach12809.jpg

cdd6700a_vbattach12808.jpg

Looks great Smoked! Can't wait to see the plants in there! Gonna be easy to care for. Did you add perlite, vermiculite and peat moss to the dirt or is it just dirt?

this is just "dirt", however it's a special blend that is supposed to be for our climate for gardening.....with how sore and sunburned I am now I don't think I could even dream of adding anything to it and mixing it in!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

yup, this dirt is really good thou, really airey already.........best soil I've ever dealt with!!!!
icon_smile.gif

well we have been getting plants in the ground....looks like I went a little crazy with hot peppers....not gonna have enough room!!!! will post pic's after it's all planted.......
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Looking good Smoked! Reading your posts got me motivated to get our garden in, just about done tonite.

24 Tomatoes, 16 peppers, 6 broccoli, 6 cabbage, celery, lettuce's, beans n pea's, acorn squash and a lil' room left
PDT_Armataz_01_30.gif
takin a couple aspirin and goin to bed! Good luck with yours
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

he he he, yea we are used to container gardening, so that is gonna happen this year again also!!!! it's getting late out here so I snapped what we have done so far.....top section is all hot peppers, first section is all cayenne, the second section is jap's and the third section has a few others and ending with some green bell's. the only section that does not have anything in will be strawberries.....those will plant later, getting too late, and in the hanging pots are cherry tomatos (center ones) and cherry peppers in the ones on the fence.......
a64466cf_vbattach12853.jpg

6e058660_vbattach12852.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky