Building an italian offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am hoping that this thread is still kicking around as it is DAMN fine!

So, I note that in the RFHS-C there is no damper on the offset firebox.  I wanted to make sure that this wasn't a mistake.  I also have a couple of questions I hope someone could answer (250 gal 36" diameter x 62" length):
  1. The best 'catch-all' height extending above and below the barrel;
  2. The best 'catch-all' height to set the top of the drip pan at;
  3. The depth of the drip pan (I know it states to angle down to 90 which I presume is really a 45 degree bastard angle) in that say from the top horizontal to the bottom of the 45 degree angle;
  4. The best material to use for the drip pan; and
  5. A best 'catch-all' dimension for the firebox.
I thank you, in advance, for taking the time to answer!

Last edited:
 I got 250 gallon propane tank to make rev. flow smoker/grill . Got one shot at this and need help . Does anyone know where to get a start to finish plan for making this right the first time. We are trying to get this done so we can have cook out here at the firestation this summer. Thanks

I got 250 gallon propane tank to make rev. flow smoker/grill . Got one shot at this and need help . Does anyone know where to get a start to finish plan for making this right the first time. We are trying to get this done so we can have cook out here at the firestation this summer. Thanks
Ummmmm yeah.. start at the first page and read everything on this thread.

You might also stop by roll call and introduce yourself..

Have a great day!!!

Craig

So, maybe someone can simply answer whether or not any specific measurements, other than those which are common sense, apply?  What I mean is this:  Will the numbers affect the performance of the smoker in and of itself?

I read through the thread before I posted (I know the above post is not directed to me) and didn't really see any numbers.  The damper is kinda common sense I suppose; however, as I have never done this before I want to make sure I do it right the first time as money and resources are scarce here in the mountains.

Thanx again!

TNGrillGuy- There are no detailed  plans as such here at SMF. There are, however some very detailed builds in which to draw your own ideas from. Also of great use is the pit calculator A member posted a great thread on his reverse flow smoker build. It is loaded with pictures from start to finish. You can link to unclebeefs smoker build here . Unclebeefs build is one of many here at SMF, the reason that it comes to mind is because it's the ideas in this build that my son and son-in-law are using for building their own RF.

Last edited:
@Dutch:  Thank you for the links!  Also, thanx for setting me straight as it will save time.

@Sqwib:  Thank you also!  I can take your pix and really see where I need to go! 

I will keep all abreast!
Not a problem-that's why the Boss pays me big bucks as an admin.
roflmao.gif

Thanks sqwib,  what imhaving problems with  is how far to weld the bottom plate on 250 gal. propane tank and how big is the hole coming from the fire box. Your smoker looks real nice . wish i would have done a smaller one now. If anyone has this i will pay for it. Thanks [email protected]

I would like to point out with my build the original convection problem

The heat was Hammering the top of the firebox and the firebox was cut into the tank.

I had to install baffle plates (red), now temps are about 12 degree variation at 200- 250 degrees.

Ask others, but you may not want to cut into the tank too much if you have rounded ends.

2abe6721_2560918590041211880S600x600Q85.jpg

this would reduce the convection

af41f0a3_flatside.jpg

Thanks sqwib,  what imhaving problems with  is how far to weld the bottom plate on 250 gal. propane tank and how big is the hole coming from the fire box. Your smoker looks real nice . wish i would have done a smaller one now. If anyone has this i will pay for it. Thanks [email protected]

I don't want to steer you wrong on attempting to answer this question, you will need to consult the pic calculator for ideas and hopefully someone who has built a 250 can help, post a pic that helps quite a bit.

If i did this right the pit cal. says fire to cook area would be 18.25sq inches how do i get that cut from a rounded propane tank (250 gal.) it seems like a very small hole for the heat from the f- box into the tank. and trying to get it for a rounded is make my head pound......lol  Do i need to walk away for awhile and come back to it ? The tank is 30" dime. by about 120" long....... Thanks

Last edited:
 If i did this right the pit cal. says fire to cook area would be 18.25sq inches how do i get that cut from a rounded propane tank (250 gal.) it seems like a very small hole for the heat from the f- box into the tank. and trying to get it for a rounded is make my head pound......lol  Do i need to walk away for awhile and come back to it ? The tank is 30" dime. by about 120" long....... Thanks
Here is my Build

Frankensmoker

and here is a quote from the same problem I had as you do now (if I am reading the question right)

20" DIAMETER TANK 10" X 10" X 3.1358024 divided by 4 = 78.395, actually that does not apply to sectioning the tank in this matter, but thanks to a fellow builder and his CAD program he came up with my numbers actually being, 61.418, so I am good to go.
Below is an explanation of this from JIRodriguez at SMF.

Quote: Figured out where the difference was coming from the formula 3.14xRxR gives you the area of a wedge shaped opening exactly 1/4 of a 20" dia. pipe (like a pizza cut top to bottom & side to side).

But the shape profile is different when you split the pipe with parallel lines every 5". The two areas closest to the center point have a larger area than the two areas on the outside. So you end up with the two middle sections measuring 95.661 in. sq., and the two outside sections measuring 61.418 in. sq.

Hopefully the same Gentleman can help you out

ColeySmokinBBQ: Your excellent post still lives! I want to add my gratitude to all the others who have expressed theirs.

I bought a cheap Brinkman SFB years ago, and used it as-is for several years w/ decent results. Without going into a lot of boring detail, I left it behind and have now brought it back to be my 'one and only' smoker.

These days I'm not satisfied with decent results, but want to produce great quality food consistently. Your diagrams and explanations (along with the wealth of other info on this site) have greatly improved my understanding of heat/smoke dynamics in a horizontal unit, and will surely serve as a base for my modifications.

Hope you're well and happy,

Bill (AA4ZF)

This thread needs to be rejuveniated... Thank you Coley for some exceptional explanations... RIP.....
Wow just wow so much good info here in this thred. 

Hi Dave.  I just wanted to say it's guys like you that make this a great place to learn and linger in the smoke from.  You say RIP for Coley.  Bummer man, I'm sure it was a sad day for those closest to him.  Not to mention this and other places probably won't be 100% the same w/o him either.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky