Building a smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Spieg69

Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
I've been a hidden fan for awhile now. I started my cinder block cedar smokehouse. Im to the point now for insulation and interior finishing. I have the offset fire box but was also wanting to add an alternate heat source so when it's time to go to bed I can. Im looking at the mypin with a thermocouple and a 1500 watt burner from brinkman as advised on here. But is this an option with the offset fire box as well or is propane burner the better option?

Is this even possible? I read you need air source at the bottom when using electric heat to move the air. Would the offset fire box provide that air?

Here's a picture

Attachments

• 20191228_173121.jpg
    20191228_173121.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 86
I had a cedar sauna that the wind got a hold of and instead of burning it I got a little creative with it.

To go with electric... you will have to put the heat element in the smokehouse itself... not the side firebox ... Myself.. I would advise against propane as you will have to make it failsafe.. meaning if the flame goes out it will cut the gas off automatically... It can be done but will need a lot more components than electric ... plus you will have to get up every hour to raise temps as to where electric can be programmed to raise automatically ( if doing sausage or snack sticks)....

Thanks for input. I do catering on a competition trailer pit and I have to stay up all night adding wood. I was wanting to make this to where I could smoke for 6 hours after work then go to bed and at least get a few hours of sleep. My big pit takes a lot of wood to maintain heat. It's not worth cooking one brisket on itll take 20 pieces of wood to finish. I have an electric smoker but it has limited space.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky