• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

BUGS IN MY FLOUR

Slow42

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 18, 2019
Hello bakers, preppers. I have a problem with getting bugs in my stored flour, less than a year. I put them in what I think are air tight containers, tupperware etc. and still I get bugs. It doesn’t matter if it’s loose flour or bagged flour. Any suggestions on how to avoid this. Thanks

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Sorry to tell you but those bug eggs are already in your flour when you buy it. Keeping in fridge or freezer will prevent then from hatching.

Warren

Slow42

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 18, 2019
So bug eggs or live bugs:emoji_disappointed: any safe product to mix with flour to prevent eggs from hatching outside freezing? I have to much for freezer or refrigerator. All flour has bug eggs?

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
We used to have them in our cereal when I was a Kid. Cherios, Frosted Flakes, Puffed Rice, etc. Bugs were born in there, in the unopened box. My Mother used to send the box tops to the Manufacturer, with a note, and they'd send us new boxes of cereal. It was like a Monthly Thing!!

BTW: Yes they even had cereal when I was just a Cub!!

Bear

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like Slow42 it is appreciated.

Warren

Slow42

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 18, 2019
Freezing it is then. I’ll give it a try then store outside a cold environmen. Unfortunately the wife has already seen the little critters and I’ll have to throw away I’m supply. I have trouble finding double zero flour so I buy a bit when I find it.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom