BUGS IN MY FLOUR

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Slow42

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Atlantic Ocean Side of the world
Hello bakers, preppers. I have a problem with getting bugs in my stored flour, less than a year. I put them in what I think are air tight containers, tupperware etc. and still I get bugs. It doesn’t matter if it’s loose flour or bagged flour. Any suggestions on how to avoid this. Thanks

Sorry to tell you but those bug eggs are already in your flour when you buy it. Keeping in fridge or freezer will prevent then from hatching.

Warren

Reactions: Slow42
So bug eggs or live bugs:emoji_disappointed: any safe product to mix with flour to prevent eggs from hatching outside freezing? I have to much for freezer or refrigerator. All flour has bug eggs?

We used to have them in our cereal when I was a Kid. Cherios, Frosted Flakes, Puffed Rice, etc. Bugs were born in there, in the unopened box. My Mother used to send the box tops to the Manufacturer, with a note, and they'd send us new boxes of cereal. It was like a Monthly Thing!!

BTW: Yes they even had cereal when I was just a Cub!!

Bear

Freezing it is then. I’ll give it a try then store outside a cold environmen. Unfortunately the wife has already seen the little critters and I’ll have to throw away I’m supply. I have trouble finding double zero flour so I buy a bit when I find it.

Put the flour in the freezer for 48 hours, this will kill the eggs as mentioned. Then you can put into
1lb zip locks, I always keep mine in the freezer or fridge.

I don't know if I would put the starter in the freezer. No, flour in the freezer will not affect it. Each of my bags has 1 pound of flour in it, you want to get as much air out as possible, so I roll the bag up.
When making pizza crust there has, to my perception been no difference.

When making crust I keep the dough in the fridge for 8 days and make pizza crust bread, take the dough, put EVOO, salt, pepper, and garlic on top. Have the oven and stone pre-heated at 500* ,
place dough on stone and cook until done. Cut in half length wise the cross cut into pieces.

Why do you think so many old time Flour based recipes say, " Sift the Flour..."? Grandma bought 50 to 100 pounds at a time. It got bugs before it could be used up. You Sifted to remove them. There is no safety issue having buggie flour. So don't toss it Sift it...JJ

Yes sifting was my first thought but then the wife stepped in. Anyone here who’s wife will let them bake with bugs in the flour, after sifting? She asked if sifting it removed the bugs poop. Good question I thought. :emoji_grinning::emoji_grinning:

You are taking Micro Grams of Poop in Pounds of Flour. Your wife is eating MORE Poop if she keeps herToothbrush in the Bathroom!Y'all eat Peanut Butter. Look up the Fed regulation on grams of Rat and Mouse Poop ALLOWED in Peanut Butter. Your Wife a fan of Tilapia? The fish are frequently fed Animal Manure to supplement the Grain cost. You like to eat in Restaurants? The Number One Safety Violation...Employees not washing their hands after using the Restroom. Your Wife buy Fruit and Salad from Grocery Cold Bars? The nasty stuff in them would keep you up at night!
Trust Me! A little Flour Weevil Poop is the least of what you eat, every day!!!...JJ

You are taking Micro Grams of Poop in Pounds of Flour. Your wife is eating MORE Poop if she keeps herToothbrush in the Bathroom!Y'all eat Peanut Butter. Look up the Fed regulation on grams of Rat and Mouse Poop ALLOWED in Peanut Butter. Your Wife a fan of Tilapia? The fish are frequently fed Animal Manure to supplement the Grain cost. You like to eat in Restaurants? The Number One Safety Violation...Employees not washing their hands after using the Restroom. Your Wife buy Fruit and Salad from Grocery Cold Bars? The nasty stuff in them would keep you up at night!
Trust Me! A little Flour Weevil Poop is the least of what you eat, every day!!!...JJ
Lmao!

Put the flour in the freezer for 48 hours, this will kill the eggs as mentioned.

That's what I do. I buy specialty flours from a bulk bin at a nearby market. I will always get bugs hatching from them if I don't freeze first. I don't store it frozen, just freeze it initially for 2-3 days and then store at room temp and there's never a problem.

I buy bulk 50lb bags, mostly All Trumps and Bouncer flours for regular pizzas, if I'm doing pizza margherita I use 00 Caputo at 60% hydration. Make sure the flour is high gluten and protein.

Last edited:
Flagriller never heard of those flours. In my area for personal use the only thing I can find is King Arthur unbleached flours, lots of other brands of bleached flours. I can’t even find Rye flour with a 30 mile radius of my home, Publix’s, Kroger’s, Walmart, BI-lO, IGA, etc. I also use 00 flour for my pizza dough when I can find it. On a trip to Florida I found an Italian grocery that carried a few brands of 00 and I purchased about 30 pounds, the flour the bugs got. So when if find 00 again I’ll try the freeze method.

I told my wife what chef JimmyJ said about the flour and other foods and her response was, well!

I'm not sure where you are, but if you have a GFS (Gordon Food Service) in your area they
sell All Trumps and Bouncer as well as Caputo. Also online

Or Brick Oven Baker

Also remember, you are going to cook the flour so that pretty much kills everything.

I'd also recommend All Trumps if you can find it, especially for NY style. We can't get bromated flour in California, so I use GrainCraft Power Flour, which is also excellent for the style.
There's little benefit for using Caputo 00 unless you are making Neapolitan with temps of at least 700F. In many cases it's counter productive.

Interesting about the 00 flour and temperature. I can only get to 550 degrees unless using my grill. I’ll have to say I like the way the dough comes out using the 00. Or it may be just the technique I use for the dough and any flour would do. Bergent and flagriller you seem quite knowledgeable about flour and pizza dough. What is your recipe for a great thin crust pizza dough, New York style, I think more correctly New Haven Ct style:emoji_sunglasses:. I checked on bakers authority and they have everything I want but the shipping is a killer.

I’ve delved into making sourdough bread and that is turning out to be quite the challenge. Looked so simple and I watched a ton of videos on the subject. I’m on my 5th loaf attempt as we speak. I’ve got the starter down but apparently not the rest of the technique. Temperature is part of the problem in the proofing department. I have no problem with bread using regular yeast. Thanks again for all your input.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky