Buffalo meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininthegarden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Rocky mountians
Has anyone here ever used buffalo for a sausage/salami recipe? I’m not sure what the
availability is in most states, but here in Montana it is quite common in stores. Not cheap
but available, anyways I was thinking it might work well for a summer sausage it is very lean but very flavorful and with some added pork fat it should work well?? Any thoughts on this?

Cal

We don't have buffalo, but we do have beefalo. It's expensive, and supposed to be very good.

Chris

Buffalo makes a great sausage. It is very lean and will need 20 to 30 percent fat back.

Cool, I remember listening to my grandma telling us stories about life on the farm over in Ireland. She couldn't have been more then 5'4" and was in charge of butchering/plucking the chickens and bringing the bull in the barn at night. She was also disappointed when it came to meat available in the US when she moved here. She always thought it tasted just alittle different. Never explained what was different. Someday I will try the beefalo, it's just not in the budget currently.

Chris

Hi again

Not trying to do the one-upmanship thing here:) just a story of days gone by. My grandma was born and raised in Minnesota, she was widowed at a very early age and had to resort to logging with horses to support her family while my mom who was in her early teens took care of her younger brothers. Things were very different back then.

Cal

Actually what we have here in the U.S. is Bison as opposed to Buffalo. They are of the same family but Bison is native to North America and South America. Buffalo are native to Asia and Africa (Ie: Cape Buffalo, Water Buffalo). I gleaned this knowledge several months ago when I posted about a "Buffalo" feast I'd done for some of my friends. I'ts become a very common misnomer and many people make the mistake, including the companies who raise, process, and sell the meat. The primary noticeable differences are that the American Bison has the beard, the big hump on it's back, and is able to withstand extremely cold temperatures.

Having shared some knowledge gained from SMF, now to your question: Yes, I have made sausage with Bison meat and it was outstanding. I had 2# of Bison sirloin steaks left over from the cookout. I used those, about 3/4# of homemade pepper crusted bacon, and 1/4# of Brisket fat that I'd saved. Used a somewhat traditional Texas spice mix that I'd come up with and added some high temp cheddar cheese. Absolutely one of the best sausages I've ever made. Very deep color, rich flavor, and a texture that makes you just want more and more. Matter of fact, one of the guests at the Bison feast was OK with the meat but not overwhelmed with it. The sausage however she proclaimed was the best I've ever made.....and I've made a bunch of different ones. Do not hesitate to try it but make certain that you have the proper fat content as the meat tends to be very lean.

Hoping to help a bit,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky