Buckboard sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbo_c

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Is there any reason I couldn’t use Hi Mountian Buckboard Bacon seasoning on ground meat and make links? I’m thinking of trying it with some venison(and an appropriate amount of added fat, of course).

Jbo

My opinion is no . Unless it has directions for " ground form " on the package . I would use as directed .

I''l agree with both Rick & Rich:

Like Rich leaned to,
The directions that will come with Buckboard Bacon cure will be the same as the directions for curing Belly Bacon.
The directions for sausage would be different.

And Like Rick said it could be too salty:
Example--I've been curing Bacon for 10 years, and I only ever had one batch of Bacon that was too Salty, and that was the one time I used "Hi Mountain Bacon Cure".
Using that with Sausage could be worse, unless you have a good solid trusted recipe for using that exact cure.

Bear

I posted about the same time as Rick , but I was worried about salt content also . Looked up the directions , and it calls for a 1 to 2 hour soak after curing .

Good point about the salt level. Didn’t think about that. That’s why you ask for opinions.. :)

I’ve made my own BBB before but not usedHi Mountain. Maybe I’ll just use my own blend. I’ll still have to watch the salt, though.

Jbo

J jbo_c
Are you looking for a bacon flavored sausage ?
I used Owens Ground formed bacon seasoning, and smoked it in a foil pan .

For conversation, let's say you consider Hi Mountain Buckboard Cure in the same class as Morton Tender Quick (there are slight differences in the cure percentages and recommended amounts for curing whole muscle meats), and we know that Tender Quick can be used at 1.5 teaspoons per pound for making things like sausage, beef stick and pepperoni. So if you knew the amount to use for ground meat, it would be possible to use Hi Mountain Buckboard Cure. The salt issue that everyone mentioned is the biggest issue with using TQ because the amount is fixed. If you want a lower salt cure and you reduce the amount of TQ, you won't deliver the necessary amounts of nitrate/nitrite to your meat. So in the long run, a curing blend with a Cure #1 base gives you much more flexibility on the salt and sugar amounts.

I just read that thread last night Chopsaw.
I can’t say I’m really looking for a bacon flavored sausage. More itching to do something and had both at hand.
Was just in the store and picked up some pork loin for 99 cents a pound. Will busy myself making some Canadian Bacon while I rethink this other idea. :)

Thanks.

Jbo

Reactions: chopsaw
I completely understand that . If your going to buy some pre mixed seasonings to do sausage / summer sausage , check out Owens BBQ . They have some great mixes .
Post up that Canadian bacon .

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky