BUCKBOARD BACON

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks really nice. I need to make some...JJ

I like how that looks. Always looking for new ways to make my bbb definitely need to give this a try.

I can't remember ever having BBB. Your looks so good Al I'll have to try making some. Most excellent looking.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great Al.
When you say "cold smoked", what would you guess the chamber temp was? (I'm in Florida too and have never cold smoked in the summer)

I like how that looks. Always looking for new ways to make my bbb definitely need to give this a try.
WOW That pic is beautiful. Well done Al
I can't remember ever having BBB. Your looks so good Al I'll have to try making some. Most excellent looking.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks a lot guys!
Al

Looks great Al.
When you say "cold smoked", what would you guess the chamber temp was? (I'm in Florida too and have never cold smoked in the summer)

Thank-you!
I start it about 3:00. AM, and by the time it’s done I would estimate the chamber temp would be around 90 degrees. If your worried about the temp getting too high you can put a couple of frozen milk jugs filled with water in the smoker. I have done that with lox in the summer before..
Al

Reactions: olaf
Looks Great, Al !!
I agree---I think BBB has more flavor than Belly Bacon!
That must have been the Lean Half of the Butt---That sure is Lean BBB !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Looks Great, Al !!
I agree---I think BBB has more flavor than Belly Bacon!
That must have been the Lean Half of the Butt---That sure is Lean BBB !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Thanks John!
Yes I used the lean side, kinda trying to make healthy bacon. I know. That is not possible, but at least I’m trying ! The other good thing about it is it doesn’t shrink up hardly at all without all that fat in it.
Al

Nice job Al fine looking bacon there.

Warren

Thanks Warren!
Al

Al,
Either you are a professional photographer tweaking the pic or that has to be awesome tasting BBB! tee hee hee.

I've got the bellie bacon down pretty well and now I need to try your style!
You say to Bear, " kinda trying to make healthy bacon. I know. That is not possible, but at least I’m trying ! " With as skinny and healthy as you are? LOL!

This really looks Excellent, Al!

Al,
Either you are a professional photographer tweaking the pic or that has to be awesome tasting BBB! tee hee hee.

I've got the bellie bacon down pretty well and now I need to try your style!
You say to Bear, " kinda trying to make healthy bacon. I know. That is not possible, but at least I’m trying ! " With as skinny and healthy as you are? LOL!

This really looks Excellent, Al!

Thank you very much!
No tweaking the photo, just took it with my iPhone.
I think you may like the BB bacon better than belly bacon too!
Very meaty & a lot more flavor!
Al

Well with the price of bellies so high , I decided to make a batch of BB bacon.
Actually I think I like the flavor better than belly bacon.
Anyhow I used 1/2 of an 8lb butt, & dry rubbed it using the bacon calculator http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html.
Also added about 1/4 cup of black pepper. Let it go for 2 weeks flipping every day, then rinse & soak in ice water for 3 hours.
Next a 4 day dry in the fridge.
Then 10 hours of cold smoke using apple pellets in the Amazen tray.
Then 4 more days in the fridge, and finally 3 hours in the freezer.
Didn’t take any photo’s of the process, but it worked out perfectly.
I sliced it up on Father’s Day morning.
Judy made Challah bread French toast, I cooked a bunch of the bacon, & our neighbor brought over the mimosas.
Sorry, but the only photo I got was the bacon sliced.

View attachment 500862

Thanks for looking fellas!
Al
Holy smokes that looks killer Al, it looks like Coppa too me.👍👍👍

Thank you for the nice comment!
It really had a good flavor, and I think were doing BLT’s for lunch today too!
Al

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky