Buckboard Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Miss Piggy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 24, 2018
I've been on a curing binge the last couple weeks, doing chicken breast, turkey pastrami, cow heart, and for the first time I did some buckboard bacon. I've tasted it before not made our own. It's very good. Used the typical .025% #1 salt along with 2% kosher salt. Flavorings I just make up per batch. I think this time I used bay leaf, coriander, allspice, pepper, celery seed and then a bit of maple sugar (all whizzed together in a coffee grinder)
6T9A8625.jpg
We like it... a lot! I did 16 lbs of it, cured it for ten days, Sous Vide part of it and hot smoked that, and then just hot smoked the rest. We like them both. The Sous Vide one is a bit more tender. I did it at around 140 for only about 8 hours. I didn't want to do it too long, but it turned out really well.

I've been on a curing binge the last couple weeks, doing chicken breast, turkey pastrami, cow heart, and for the first time I did some buckboard bacon. I've tasted it before not made our own. It's very good. Used the typical .025% #1 salt along with 2% kosher salt. Flavorings I just make up per batch. I think this time I used bay leaf, coriander, allspice, pepper, celery seed and then a bit of maple sugar (all whizzed together in a coffee grinder)View attachment 406293 We like it... a lot! I did 16 lbs of it, cured it for ten days, Sous Vide part of it and hot smoked that, and then just hot smoked the rest. We like them both. The Sous Vide one is a bit more tender. I did it at around 140 for only about 8 hours. I didn't want to do it too long, but it turned out really well.

Hi Miss Piggy!!
I cured some Deer Heart one time, but just long enough to give it some Curing flavor (24 hours). It was a little chewy, but Tasted Great!!
Link:
Deer Heart (TQ Seasoned & Sauteed in Butter)

Bear

I've been on a curing binge Used the typical .025% #1 salt along with 2% kosher salt. Flavorings

Miss piggy, afternoon... Forgive me if I miss read you numbers...
Cure#1 is used at a 0.25% rate and the calculation is ...
0.0025 X the weight of the meat or weight of the meat + brine...

Dave

Miss piggy, afternoon... Forgive me if I miss read you numbers...
Cure#1 is used at a 0.25% rate and the calculation is ...
0.0025 X the weight of the meat or weight of the meat + brine...

Dave
This was a dry cure and I did it in batches divided by three to make sure each piece was evenly coated.

Last edited:
Looks good. What did you do to the Beef heart?...JJ
I've used a wet cure for the venison/beef heart thus far. The typical cure I posted in the original post, but added the weight of enough water to cover. I've been cooking for an awful lot of years, so I just add my own spices.

I want to add that one of our daughters has an auto-immune issue where she can't eat red meat or casings from sheep or pork. I'm doing a little experimenting with more chicken and turkey than I would do otherwise.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky