Buckboard Bacon - 1st Attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DrewJ

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Hey All,

Our local Hy-Vee had pork butt on sale for 97 cents a pound so I bought the two biggest I could find. I have been wanting to try buckboard bacon for a while so this was my perfect excuse. I butchered (in more way than one) the butts and cubed up some for instant pot carnitas (which were great) and created a few wonky slabs to try my hand at buckboard bacon. I dry cured by weight following the guide posted by disco disco here. Cured for 9 days and smoked them yesterday for about 6 hours on apple until they hit internal of 145 degrees F. Fried up a little for a taste test and it was amazing. Gonna slice and portion the rest in the next couple of days. Here a few pics:

Out of the cure and soaked for an hour in cold water to cut the salt a bit. I also ran them in my convection oven on the dehydrate setting to add a little pellicule. Also on a tip from disco disco .
20210118_112306.jpg

After smoking. The two hunks on the back left are the bones of the butt that I also cured with some meat left on them for making soups. That's an experiment but I'm thinking it will be good.
20210118_170725.jpg

Test fry:
20210118_175252.jpg

Thanks to everyone on this site since I would never have dreamed of trying anything like this without some advice and inspiration from the fine people here!

-drew-

Looks good! You'll be hooked now! Plus you can't beat the price.

Ryan

Reactions: DrewJ
Nice job. I too have done the BBB but I believe I followed the directions of Bearcarver Bearcarver and like yours, it was fantastic. To this day though I do all of my belly bacon and Back (Canadian) Bacon ala disco disco Hiss technique is rock solid.

Robert

Hey All,

Our local Hy-Vee had pork butt on sale for 97 cents a pound so I bought the two biggest I could find. I have been wanting to try buckboard bacon for a while so this was my perfect excuse. I butchered (in more way than one) the butts and cubed up some for instant pot carnitas (which were great) and created a few wonky slabs to try my hand at buckboard bacon. I dry cured by weight following the guide posted by disco disco here. Cured for 9 days and smoked them yesterday for about 6 hours on apple until they hit internal of 145 degrees F. Fried up a little for a taste test and it was amazing. Gonna slice and portion the rest in the next couple of days. Here a few pics:

Out of the cure and soaked for an hour in cold water to cut the salt a bit. I also ran them in my convection oven on the dehydrate setting to add a little pellicule. Also on a tip from disco disco .
View attachment 481093

After smoking. The two hunks on the back left are the bones of the butt that I also cured with some meat left on them for making soups. That's an experiment but I'm thinking it will be good.
View attachment 481094

Test fry:
View attachment 481095

Thanks to everyone on this site since I would never have dreamed of trying anything like this without some advice and inspiration from the fine people here!

-drew-
Wow that looks really good!I love those things. I tried doing a half leg last time and like the butt lot better.

Looks tasty! Beautiful color. BBB is the gentle mix btw belly and canadian in my opinion. Well done.

Looks great Drew! We love buckboard. I use the Pops wet brine and it turns out some great BB too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky