Brown Sugar Glazed Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
It was a big day in my virus isolation. I took the garbage out! It must be time for a special meal. Actually, I went to the grocery store and they had a ham on sale. Whatever, it is always time for a nice ham!

I know what you’re thinking. We can’t have company and who will be eating all that ham! Fortunately, slice ham freezes well and there will be many fine meals ahead.

I decided to double smoke it in my smoker but go old school with the glaze and make a Brown Sugar Glaze.

This recipe calls for a fully cooked ham. You will just be reheating it as opposed to cooking it. Check to make sure the label notes it is a cooked ham.

Prepare the glaze by mixing in a saucepan:

• 200 ml (1 7/8 cup) brown sugar
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup) orange juice
  • 100 ml (3/8 cup) honey
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) cider vinegar
  • 20 ml (4 tsp) Dijon mustard
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) cinnamon
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cloves
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground ginger
  • 1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground nutmeg
Put it over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let it boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, and remove from heat.

Brown Sugar Glazed Ham 01.jpg

Cut a diamond pattern in the skin of the ham. Make slices ¼ inch (6 mm) deep and 1 inch (25 mm) apart.

Put the ham in a 200 F (95 C) smoker and smoke until the internal temperature is 120 F (50 C). This took about 7 hours in my smoker.

Warm the glaze over low heat if it is too thick to brush. Brush the surface of the ham and smoke for about 2 hours longer, brushing the surface every ½ hour until the internal temperature is 140 F (60 C).

Brown Sugar Glazed Ham 02.jpg

Let the ham rest for 15 minutes and then carve and serve. We served it with a nice salad, Copper Pennies and Scalloped Potatoes.

Brown Sugar Glazed Ham 03.jpg

Brown Sugar Glazed Ham 05.jpg

Brown Sugar Glazed Ham 04.jpg

The Verdict

This is the kind of glaze I grew up with. It isn’t fancy, it is just delicious. The spices in the glaze makes any day seem like a holiday.

Disco

Disco...Hello old Friend!

That is a ham worthy of any holiday celebration, my friend! The glaze looks and sounds terrific...similar to a recipe I’ve used minus the Dijon and ginger.

Very nicely done Sir!

Red

Nice looking ham. I bet it was tasty.

Thanks. We enjoyed it!

Absolutely gotta do this! I bookmarked too!

It is easy. I learned how to make it from an old Bearcarver post. He has a great glaze too.

Disco...Hello old Friend!

That is a ham worthy of any holiday celebration, my friend! The glaze looks and sounds terrific...similar to a recipe I’ve used minus the Dijon and ginger.

Very nicely done Sir!

Red

Thanks, Red! You can't go wrong with a basic glaze!

Might fine ham there. Looks really great!

Thank you!

Delicious Ham Disco! Looks insanely good!

Like!

Thanks so much!

Wow .. that looks soooooo good! Please excuse my Yankee ignorance .... what are copper pennies disco disco ?

Thanks so much!

It is a dish they have been making on the Canadian Prairies for decades. It can be served hot or cold and was used to short preserve carrots. She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are addicted to them even though they use canned soup! Here's the recipe:

Copper Pennies
Ingredients

• 2 pounds carrots
  • 1 small green pepper, seeded and finely diced
  • 1 medium onion thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup salad oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed tomato soup
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1. Cook carrots in salted water just until cooked but still crisp.
2. Drain and cool.
3. In a large casserole, alternate layers of carrots, green pepper and thin sliced onion.
4. Mix remaining ingredients in a pot and heat until it is at a bubbling boil.
5. Pour the liquid over the vegetables and refrigerate over night.
6. Can be served hot or cold and freezes well.
7. If not frozen, it keeps up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.

Heavenly Ham !
Those slices are perfect . Nice work bud .

Thanks!

Reactions: bacon_crazy510
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky