• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brown sugar and higher pit temps

gotbags-10

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 1, 2011
So I've generally smoked all my pork from 225-245 because I use a lot of brown sugar in my rub and don't want it to burn. I would love to do my butts or ribs closer to 275 like I do brisket but am concerned if this will be ok with the brown sugar? I know turbinado sugar can withstand a little more heat but I like the flavor of the brown sugar a little more

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 2, 2012
I've done a few butts at 275 with brown sugar in the rub. They turned out looking black but did not taste like they were burned. You might want to try a butt at 250 and if you are happy try the next butt a little higher.

stickyfingers

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 23, 2009
I do my ribs and butts at 275 always and use brown sugar in my rub and never have a problem with burning or charring. I would try it and not be too concerned!

greg b

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 3, 2013
I'm with Stickyfingers on this one. I just did my first picnic and butt and it came out looking burnt but the crust was amazing. My heat ranged between 250 and 275 ( early on it had hit 300, but I backed it down pretty quickly).

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
It always looks bad but tastes good. Like Oysters.........!!

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Oct 20, 2010
My homemade pork rub uses both brown sugar (I use dark) and turbinado sugar. The last 3 rib smokes, I smoke at 275°, yes they darken up but oh my are they delicious! 

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.