Brown sugar and higher pit temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gotbags-10

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Indy
So I've generally smoked all my pork from 225-245 because I use a lot of brown sugar in my rub and don't want it to burn. I would love to do my butts or ribs closer to 275 like I do brisket but am concerned if this will be ok with the brown sugar? I know turbinado sugar can withstand a little more heat but I like the flavor of the brown sugar a little more

I've done a few butts at 275 with brown sugar in the rub. They turned out looking black but did not taste like they were burned. You might want to try a butt at 250 and if you are happy try the next butt a little higher.

I do my ribs and butts at 275 always and use brown sugar in my rub and never have a problem with burning or charring. I would try it and not be too concerned!

I'm with Stickyfingers on this one. I just did my first picnic and butt and it came out looking burnt but the crust was amazing. My heat ranged between 250 and 275 ( early on it had hit 300, but I backed it down pretty quickly).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky