Broken digital MES-30: Dial Conversion?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lav25

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Okay, this is exactly backwards to the other questions I've found here. I have a digital MES-30 with a busted digital control unit that I'd like to convert to an analog, dial driven unit.

Why? Background.

I live in Japan. I'm an American, long-term resident here. When I got this MES-30 digital I got it for the low, low shipped price of about $300 USD from Amazon's US site. However, those deals are gone now, the cheapest options are running (with shipping) around $500 bucks, which is more than I'm willing or able to spend.

Edit: Local replacements aren't possible. Japan just doesn't do smoking. There are some devices designed for cold-smoking small bits of food, but their interior capacity is usually a gallon or less. No way to cook a turkey or a roast in there. I've checked Amazon Japan, Rakuten, the sporting goods stores... just not happening.

It's well out of warranty. Going through Masterbuilt is probably not going to get me anywhere as it's 3-4 years old.

It lives on the balcony. This is the source of the problem. I do keep it covered, but it lives on my balcony and the cover has aged, developed holes, etc. Additionally, I have to admit to times I forgot to re-cover it and it was subject to direct rain. Any replacement is going to have to endure similar circumstances and will probably end up with the same result. This is entirely my fault, but something I have to live with.

I know the heating element is good. The last time I tried to use it it got up to around 200 degrees F over a while, then I noticed the temp dropping. When I went outside I discovered that it was powered down. I unplugged it and moved the food indoors to my oven. However, it has subsequently refused to power up at all. Plugged in, no beep. Push the power button, nothing. Bricked.

I've got a buddy with an electrician's ticket but I wanted to run the idea past this forum first. Would it be possible/safe/sane to rig it so that it goes to a dimmer switch or other temp control device and bypass the electronic thermostat entirely? Ideally I'l like to make a separate control unit so things went: Smoker-> cord with male plug->female socket on control unit->cord to wall socket. That way the control unit could be kept safe in the house when the smoker wasn't in use. Less ideal than full thermostat control, but I've got a couple of Maverick multi-probe thermometers so I could keep an eye out and finesse the temp as I went.

Insane? Doable? Thanks for your attention.

Last edited:
One option is eo use a 1500 watt dimmer switch like daveomak daveomak did here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ncandescent-dimmer-switch.105641/#post-622872
This route will likely require you to use a secondary smoke source such as an AMNPS.

Another option might be to use a Variac. Thats basically an adjustable transformer. Most have female outlets built in. Matching whatever plug configuration used in japan and you smoker might be a minor problem. Again secondary smoke source recommended.

Next, step up to PID and don't look back. Pending what features you want can be done cheap or almost what you paid for the original smoker. As always secondary smoke source recommended.

may be a appliance store locally may have something similar good luck

Okay, this is exactly backwards to the other questions I've found here. I have a digital MES-30 with a busted digital control unit that I'd like to convert to an analog, dial driven unit.

Why? Background.

I live in Japan. I'm an American, long-term resident here. When I got this MES-30 digital I got it for the low, low shipped price of about $300 USD from Amazon's US site. However, those deals are gone now, the cheapest options are running (with shipping) around $500 bucks, which is more than I'm willing or able to spend.

Edit: Local replacements aren't possible. Japan just doesn't do smoking. There are some devices designed for cold-smoking small bits of food, but their interior capacity is usually a gallon or less. No way to cook a turkey or a roast in there. I've checked Amazon Japan, Rakuten, the sporting goods stores... just not happening.

It's well out of warranty. Going through Masterbuilt is probably not going to get me anywhere as it's 3-4 years old.

It lives on the balcony. This is the source of the problem. I do keep it covered, but it lives on my balcony and the cover has aged, developed holes, etc. Additionally, I have to admit to times I forgot to re-cover it and it was subject to direct rain. Any replacement is going to have to endure similar circumstances and will probably end up with the same result. This is entirely my fault, but something I have to live with.

I know the heating element is good. The last time I tried to use it it got up to around 200 degrees F over a while, then I noticed the temp dropping. When I went outside I discovered that it was powered down. I unplugged it and moved the food indoors to my oven. However, it has subsequently refused to power up at all. Plugged in, no beep. Push the power button, nothing. Bricked.

I've got a buddy with an electrician's ticket but I wanted to run the idea past this forum first. Would it be possible/safe/sane to rig it so that it goes to a dimmer switch or other temp control device and bypass the electronic thermostat entirely? Ideally I'l like to make a separate control unit so things went: Smoker-> cord with male plug->female socket on control unit->cord to wall socket. That way the control unit could be kept safe in the house when the smoker wasn't in use. Less ideal than full thermostat control, but I've got a couple of Maverick multi-probe thermometers so I could keep an eye out and finesse the temp as I went.

Insane? Doable? Thanks for your attention.

Your idea is doable and as mentioned DaveOmak has a post on how he did it.

Now I would bet MONEY that the issue with your MES is the connectors at the heating element or at the safety rollout limit switch have corroded away. This is like the number one issue for a failure that you describe.

Getting some high temp heavy(er) duty connectors and replacing the corroded ones is like a $6 fix here in the states to replace with these:

If you don't have a crimper and cutter it will run you more like $18 if you also have to get a crimping tool (and kit) like this one to crimp the supco connectors in place:

You can check and do all that yourself without the need of an electrician buddy.

There is a strong chance though that your MES does NOT have a panel to check the safety rollout limit switch connectors. If it does then u can check and replace these connectors (as needed) and be back up and running in 30 minutes.
If no panel exists for the safety switch you will have to then drill out the rivets on the back of the MES and peel up the back to get to it. You fix those connectors and you refasten the back of the MES on again using #12, 1inch long self tapping hex head sheet metal screws like these:

If you have a way to cut and create a panel to that switch I would highly suggest you do so. You can then cover with a piece of aluminum from a can or, tin, or plastic or anything and use the sheet metal screws to fasten it in place. This way u can get back to it in case the switch melts down.... which it does. If the switch has melted down on you u can simply cut the wires from it and splice/wire nut them together and that will work until you want to replace the swafety switch or if you want to just keep rolling without that switch in place.

Anyhow, doing a little investigation I bet you find erroded connectors and it may be a simple fix or take a tiny bit more effort but once you can replace those connectors you can basically repair them at any time. If the controller goes out you can rewire and use a PID or go the dial controller route.... I'm a huge fan of the PID controller route :)

Let me know if this firehose of info makes sense :)

Excellent, thanks to everyone who has responded! Now I've got a new set of options to look at. Would do so now but it's raining like crazy here today. At least the cover is back on the smoker, FWIW.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky