Briskets, Haven't Posted a Cook in a While

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
I haven't posted a cook in a while so figured I would post my brisket smoke from last night/today.

Qview then the write up!

Ijm2UR3.png
czX1fwf.png

(mmmm the Point slices below are always the best!)

yz1Dvis.png

(Almost forgot to take a shot while on the plate. Was well into it when I remembered. Yep that is a little bit of Rudy's BBQ Sause on it!)
RSEdicr.png

So last week Choice briskets were on sale for $1.99/lb and I bought my limit of 2. Picked two good ones!

Seasoned with SPOG. Smoked with 12 hours of perfect 100% Mesquite smoke via an AMNPS and 100% Mesquite Lumberjack pellets (now discontinued).

I've experimented a little bit and did these fat side down BUT with much of the trimmed fat lied all over the top of the brisket as well. Figured it would help keep juicy AND keep the bark from getting too crispy in areas. I do my briskets naked for the amazing flavor but there are sometimes spots that get a bit barky or dry on the meat side of flat muscle. Figured I would just sandwich the whole thing with fat being that fat side down makes it easy for trimmed fat to be placed on the non fat side mostly around the ends of the brisket and on the flat. So far it went well but the jury is still out to see if it is really helping or the briskets just turned out super good despite doing so hahaha.

I always do fantastic briskets but I have to say these were super flavorful the way I like them to be where sometimes I think I may go a little light on seasoning and flavor due to rushing. I took care to add plenty of seasoning instead of rushing and this new little fat experiment was added so no telling one, the other, or both contributed to nailing the flavor the way I like it to be.
I can say there were almost no spots that were too barky at all. A couple of tiny tiny spots on on the outside existed but I think thats more a product of them being on the edge and thin and corner cut so it just dries up more.

Also, these sliced up pretty well because I let each of them sit for about 4hr 45min to 5 hours each. The longer they rest, or the cooler temp they are, the easier they slice up without tearing up. File that away as part of your "brisket secrets" knowledge :)

These briskets were sooooooo good. I think they also tasted extra great because I've almost exclusively been eating boneless skinless chicken breast in a pretty good effort to drop a few pounds. No chicken breast for the next 7 days for me with two big ass briskets tasting so amazing and in the fridge :D

Anyhow figured I would share the smoke/cook since it's been a while for me to post some food :)

That’s a good price. Looks yummy

YUM

Brisket is under 4$ lb at Sam's finally. I looked at the 6 they had out but they were all scrawny and I was in a bit of a rush or I'd have asked them to break out another case. I want to say choice was 3.49 and prime was 3.69. For .20 I'd buy prime but I have no problem with choice. Rest it for half a day and select tastes pretty good too ;)

Looks fantastic. And yes after eating so much chicken, the brisket is the food of the gods. Great job and nice write up.

Nice looking brisket

Point for sure
Chris

Sir stand up and take a bow, BRAVO!

Dave
Hahaha will do! Glad you liked the post :D
Looks great!
Thanks, it is great tasting too! :D

A fine piece of work there, looks fantastic! RAY
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pics. I enjoyed eating it hahah.
Nice cook, brisky looks phenomenal!
Thanks! It taste great too!

That’s a good price. Looks yummy
Oh yeah that price is fantastic and allows me to make such tasty brisket without breaking the bank :D
YUM

Brisket is under 4$ lb at Sam's finally. I looked at the 6 they had out but they were all scrawny and I was in a bit of a rush or I'd have asked them to break out another case. I want to say choice was 3.49 and prime was 3.69. For .20 I'd buy prime but I have no problem with choice. Rest it for half a day and select tastes pretty good too ;)
Oh those are pretty good prices for most of the country. I'd buy prime at that small price difference.
There is only 1 store that does Select briskets that go on sale near me BUT they get a ton of good looking ones so I just dig through and easily find ones that look and feel like Choice grade. They come out well also.

Looks fantastic. And yes after eating so much chicken, the brisket is the food of the gods. Great job and nice write up.

Thanks! Yep, after all that chicken I agree. I'm glad you enjoyed the post :)

Nice looking brisket

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks! It's going to be good eating until I have to vac seal and freeze :)
Nice looking beef.
There goes the weight loss C man.
How much Lumberjack mesquite you have left?
Thanks! Yeah not going to drop any pounds with this stuff in the fridge. I gotta limit it to like 8oz in a whole day... that is likely impossible with how good it is haha.

I think I have about 3-5 pounds in my open bag and I think 1 more 20 pound bag.
I have Five twenty pound bags of a 100% Mesquite pellet that is made by a company in Texas so I have a decent supply provided their pellets are good to go. They look good so I don't expect any issues.
I feel bad for everyone who cannot get 100% Mesquite pellets for their beef. It's by far the best smoke flavor for beef, in my opinion :)

Looks great man and I’m with you, point is where it’s at!!
Thanks! Yeah I wish it was reverse with as much point as there is flat muscle. That's not reality so I just attack the point first before others do :D

Mmmmm, Brisket!
They say, "Variety is the spice of life."
I agree, gotta mix it up.
Yard bird is good but a tender brisket is better.
Hahaha I've also heard "Happiness in life means having options." It didn't sound all that correct to me but after thinking on it for a couple of weeks after hearing it, I came to agree 100% lol.

Yeah the chicken is good but this brisket is just a whole other animal... figuratively and literally :P

Looks good bud . Nice work .
Thanks! Yeah it's always good to be able to eat your hard work and it be so tasty :D

That looks great , all sliced and ready for eating.

And I still have not done one yet.
Well have to get one going this spring when we have a couple
folks over, that's a big slab for just the 2 of us ..... maybe not

David

WOOOOO Boy! Thats some pretty brisket!!! Yep, your metabolism aint gonna know what to think when that red meat hits it. But I'd suffer through the meat sweats for a plateful!

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky