Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nordo0

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Bangor, PA.
I am attempting my first brisket tonight. Can anyone tell what part to put the thermometer in? the thick end or the thin side?

Thanks

I like to put one in the point & one in the flat, and as hardcookin says in the thickest part.

Let us know how it turns out!

Al

Last edited:
You can monitor both but for determining when it's "done", probe the brisket and check fer tenderness.  That will be your true indicator  When your probe slides in with little to no resistance....It's time!

Probe it in several different places to be sure. It only takes a few seconds...
Yep..

Keep in mind, the point can take considerable more cooking than the flat. when the flat is tender get it out  and separate (if you're doing a whole packer), foil and wrap the flat. It will continue to cook while it is wrapped. 

Now you can dice up the point, place it in a foil pan, add some drippings and some sauce then put it back into the smoker for a while and make some burnt ends. If you are unfamiliar with them, do a little looking around..

Enjoy!

-Pit

If I'm only smoking the whole thing until the flat is done (and then making burnt ends with the point), what is the ideal temp to take the flat to?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky