Brisket Wrap thought

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
i cook my brisket these days hot n fast. 350 in a pan for a few hours until it hits 170 and then I tightly cover the pan with foil until I get it where I want it. There are so many pros to this method, but there is of course 1 main downside - bark is not what you’re gonna get when wrapped in pink butcher paper. I’m wondering if I rightly cover the pan with pink paper instead of foil if I can get that bark I want. I have foil tape I’ll use to keep the paper tight. I’ve never heard of anyone doing this, just trying to think if there is a way to use the pan during the “wrap” process so that I don’t lose the juices to the paper but get the bark that paper allows which foil doesn’t. I’m gonna find out on my next one I think but this site is always good to get other cook’s thoughts on things.

I'm not sure...My thoughts are the butcher paper lets the brisket breathe and helps retain moisture.
I will be interested to see what other thoughts are.

I'm not sure...My thoughts are the butcher paper lets the brisket breathe and helps retain moisture.
I will be interested to see what other thoughts are.
This is true, it’s preferred as a wrap to foil because it breathes more and therefore let’s some of that moisture out keeping a better texture to the bark. Problem is it also sucks up all the moisture that the brisket releases, where as I use a pan covered with foil which is quicker, easier, and easier cleanup than wrapping directly. Whether a paper covered pan provides the same benefits as a foil wrapped on without the downfall of stealing all my food juices I don’t know. I’d think so, probably will need a bit longer with paper than foil I’m thinking. Looking forward to testing on. 15lb prime I picked up a few weeks ago

Interesting idea for sure. Not sure that if sitting in a pan and then butcher paper on top that you will get any different results than with foil but could be very wrong! Can’t hurt anything or make it any worse/better try it out!

with the brisket setting in the moisture I don't see a different outcome, perch it on a cooling rack and then the paper might make a slight difference

When I don't have the paper handy I use foil until it's done. Then I will peel back and open the foil and crank up the heat for 20-30 minutes to firm up the bark again. It works for me!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky