Brisket With Decent Fat Cap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pgeobc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Indian Territory
Where in the territory east of Tulsa or in Tulsa can one buy brisket and/or Boston Butt with a decent fat cap? The stuff we have locally has been denuded of external fat and will dry up if dry smoked for long periods of time. Besides that, when making some sausages with pork, one needs a 25% fat content for decent sausage. Help is apprecited, thanks. Geo.

I've always got mine at Sam's club or reasors. also got good briskits from food pyramid sometimes. there is also meat markets like perry's or a few others , just think of names right now. hope this helps.

icon_cool.gif

I'm really glad I don't live in Tulsa for I like fat. I'm in the way of thinking that fat is flavor and I like flavor. So when it come to a brisket all I trim off is the really hard chunks of fat. They don't break down like most of the other fat. Now you might be able to go back to the market and buy some fat from them. I would pay very much for it either. Better yet you could buy a brisket and then ask them for the fat back. It seems fair to me.

Thanks for the replies. All of my local meat sellers simply put out what their suppliers prepackage and they are featuring super-lean meats. That includes Reasor's, Wally World, and one independent. There is a place in Wagoner called "Meats N More" or something like that; it is on HWY 69 south. They understand my plight, but one  has to talk like a dutch uncle to get a little of their extra fat. I mean, really, one only needs 6 or 8 hounces for 10 lbs of Boston Butt, but it seems a problem for them.

The briskets are all so closely trimmed that an 11 hour dry smoke will get you too much drying. Guess I'm gonna have to make a pilgrimage to Sam's Club.

can i ask why so much fatcap ? just wondering. i live in tulsa, and i forgot one other place i get meat from,Tulsa Beef and Provision Inc. you tell them what your looking for and they may have it. a lot of competition meats come from there. do you buy briskits trimmed or packer ? trimmed briskit is , trimmed to much for my way of cooking. i just use packer trim or whole untrimmed.

Well, if one gets a fairly large brisket--say 10-12 pounds--and then one slow smoke-cooks it at, say 225 degrees, for 11 or more nours, a lean brisket simply will not do. A lean brisket will dry out too much. The answer, of course, is to get a brisket with sufficient fat cap and then clean it of extra fat after it is cooked (saving, of course, the crusty thin layer on the outside of the fat for flavor.).

Guess, I need packer trim brisket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky