Brisket tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

who_me?

Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Hi all. Second time to post for advise here. I have an ok joes highland smoker and am wanting to try a brisket. I’ve smoked ribs, and mostly used my ok joe as a grill, but am wanting to smoke on it some more. I realize practice makes perfect, but have used my old drum smoker for so long, I’m ready to venture out. Any tips, and/or advise will be appreciated.
Im curious as to wood recommendations as well. I live in NM, but can get a hold of a few different types. I currently have mesquite, oak, hickory, and pecan on hand.
I’ll stop writing for now. Thank you in advance!

Reactions: kruizer
The good thing is, if you can manage your pit and fire long enough to cook ribs, all you need to do is keep that up for another 6 or 7 hours. How large of a brisket will you be cooking?

Season with at least salt and pepper, misting with at least water after hour 3 will help set the bark. Decide if you want to use a wrapped finish (for tenderizing) or not, don't rely on internal temperature when determining doneness..... probe it. It should feel like room temperature peanut butter, or jello. Rest it in an insulated cooler for at least 2 hours before slicing, longer if you can. When it comes to wood, beef can handle stronger woods. In order of least to strongest, your woods would be pecan, oak/hickory (tie) and mesquite. If you go with mesquite let it settle down before adding your brisket.

Reactions: jcam222
The good thing is, if you can manage your pit and fire long enough to cook ribs, all you need to do is keep that up for another 6 or 7 hours. How large of a brisket will you be cooking?

Season with at least salt and pepper, misting with at least water after hour 3 will help set the bark. Decide if you want to use a wrapped finish (for tenderizing) or not, don't rely on internal temperature when determining doneness..... probe it. It should feel like room temperature peanut butter, or jello. Rest it in an insulated cooler for at least 2 hours before slicing, longer if you can. When it comes to wood, beef can handle stronger woods. In order of least to strongest, your woods would be pecan, oak/hickory (tie) and mesquite. If you go with mesquite let it settle down before adding your brisket.
Thank you third eye. I haven’t even thought about how large of a brisket yet. Still in the research phase. Your information will come in handy

Oak or hickory are great choices. Mesquite if you like that flavor. If so I’d mix it with oak or hickory. You can do your brisket with a pit temp anywhere from 225 to 275 Id say. SPOG is a great seasoning. You can inject with beef broth to help with moistened. Many use double strength. At around 160 or so you can chose to wait out the stall or wrap with peach paper or foil. Finish meat temp will range from 190 to 205. Probe tender is the key. I like to wrap at 165 and I put mine in a towel filled cooler after finish for an hour rest.

Oak or hickory are great choices. Mesquite if you like that flavor. If so I’d mix it with oak or hickory. You can do your brisket with a pit temp anywhere from 225 to 275 Id say. SPOG is a great seasoning. You can inject with beef broth to help with moistened. Many use double strength. At around 160 or so you can chose to wait out the stall or wrap with peach paper or foil. Finish meat temp will range from 190 to 205. Probe tender is the key. I like to wrap at 165 and I put mine in a towel filled cooler after finish for an hour rest.
Jcam, thank you for your ideas. I’m anxious for next weekend to try the things you nice folks are recommending.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky