Brisket the easy way !!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
last saturday my next door neighbor asked me to cook a brisket for him as his daughter was visiting fromTexas
i agreed and he gave me the brisket . it weighted 8.72 lbs , later that day i was talking to another freind and mentioned that tomorrow i would be cooking a brisket for my next door neighbor , and he started telling me how to cook it ( foil this, mope that and so on ) so told him" young fella ( he is 40 ) i think i can handle it , so Sunday morning i got up and rubbed the brisket real good with my dry rub and loaded it inthe smoker , at 6:30 am it started smoking pretty good , and i kept a good smoke going till 8:30 or so and then let the smoke taper off , keeping the stack temp at a nice steady 225
at 2:45 i opened the smoker checked on it and it was done , i put it on a nice platter along with a jar of my home made sauce and took it next door and delivered it . Monday morning i saw my neighbor , his daughter and his son-in-law so i asked them how was the brisket ? the son in law told me that it was the best brisket he ever ate , they all raved about how good it was .......cooking a brisket need not be complicated and you don't need anything more than a good dry rub

Last edited:
Only one problem I see with this post… What??? No pictures???

EDIT: Oops I’m being forgetful. That sounds awesome and a great thing to do for a neighbor.

Last edited:
I like pretty basic on brisket. If I read your timing right you smoked at 225F from 630 AM to 2:45PM for a total of 8 hours 15 minutes. That’s a surprisingly fast finish at 225F.
What would a whipper snapper like you know? This guy defies all the laws of smoking and puts everyone to shame.......never seen a pic though

5C731D79-2C9D-45FD-8ED9-69506A0EE3B6.jpeg

if any of you don't know what a smoked brisket looks like , i'm sure you can google it , i never felt a need to photograph every thing i cook ....i did not send it to a lab to be disected and studied , i told you every step i did . nothing complicated !!! i think thats the problem here , some people think EVERYTHING MUST BE COMPLICATED otherwise its got to be wrong , it makes me wonder if some of you can cook a hamburger without writing a book about what you had to do to it.
give me a break its smoking a peice of meat we are talking about, not unlocking the mysteries of the universe !!!!

Last edited:
some people on this forum have a real need to feel like "experts " its an ego trip for them plain and simple !!! it makes them feel important and because of that they try to put down any post thats different from the way they THINK meat should be smoked , smoking meat is as old as the hills , there is no hard rules to great tasting meat , when you try to tell people reading my posts that what i describe can't be done , it just makes you sound stupid , i have been smoking meat for 40 years , and i know it can be done exackly as i describe because i do it , just because i do things simpler and faster than the way you say it has to be done just means you want people to think " oh wow thats guy is an expert " well news flash for you ...your not !!!!

The reason I posted is because new people join everyday looking for advice on something many have never done. I'd hate for someone to see this post and think they can smoke a nearly 9lb brisket in 8hr 15min at 225 only to be disappointed when they CANT achieve that and possibly ruining their first experience with a brisket........not to mention nearly all your posts reek of arrogance

the REASON you post is is because of what i just described !!! how can you tell anyone what can and can't be done when i just did it last sunday .
enough of this foolishness !!!!

• Haha
Reactions: TH-n-PA
At 8.72 lbs we are all assuming it was just the flat that you smoked. If you got it done that quickly at 225 then that's great. Especially if your neighbors thought it was the best they have ever had. A lot of guys on here have had trouble keeping just the flat portion moist. I think that's why a lot of us would like to see a picture so maybe if you do things differently we could take note. No one said it cant be done. Did you take a final IT? A lot would also argue that all it needs is salt and pepper other than a good dry rub. Nothing wrong with doing things differently but also nothing wrong with posting pictures and processes so others can learn and up their game. I don't see how that is egotistical. I think its more so egotistical to say "Hey I did this and it was the best ever and the rest of you suck for asking questions are questioning my process".

NO !!! just an old man thats sick and tired of people trying to make something very simple into something complicated ...smoking meat is so simple a small child can learn how in very short order ...if you wonder why so many newcomers have problems, its because they have been convinced its waaaay harder than it really is .. great tasting meat is ...smoke - heat - time and not much else !!!
anything else is just pompus BS !!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky