Brisket Style Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I’ve been wanting to try cooking a Tri-Tip like a Brisket ever since reading about it a while ago. It goes against my instinct, but I came across an older thread here that discussed it at length so I decided to get over my fears and went to my local butcher where I can actually find TT! I was happy I did and my wife, who doesn't like red in her red meat, loved it! Amazing taste, different, not sure if it’ll be standard for me, but worth the occasional fling! I highly recommend a go!

Salt, Pepper, EVOO rub, On pellet pooper with mesquite pellets at 225, pulled at 160 IT, wrapped, back on until IT was 190. Pulled, rest, slice. I think it needed a hair more-on the smoker or didn’t rest enough, but again, my family devoured it and couldn’t stop talking about how good it was.

EAE007A4-2D30-419F-A489-237A6465402F.jpeg
A19F8CCE-09E8-4895-8D83-37587537D0E1.jpeg
5FB5435B-30AC-4BD0-88B3-86B4A15E32F0.jpeg
1E700036-1F30-4FE5-827F-F08200AC594B.jpeg
E224E688-24BF-47B8-ACE2-71CABD4D52CB.jpeg
78D1DFCF-E51D-4582-AC8F-8EE1948CEC2A.jpeg
C1352ABA-E7A4-42EB-A8D8-99D97F7132B0.jpeg
1C91DA50-055B-4990-BC5E-78DEA1D06521.jpeg
A50D2AAD-60F2-43C0-9B46-D59BB43E071D.jpeg
DA68C03B-1940-4EE1-B213-BFDAF744FE20.jpeg
3AD19129-6575-4587-B209-8A8474B8ECB6.jpeg

thank you for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks Great !! Like.
However since we don't have them around here, I can "Not Make it" that way, just as good as I can "Not Make It" Medium-Rare.

Bear

Reactions: bauchjw
Looks great. Congrats on the rotator ride
Thank you!

Seems like a crazy thing to do, but I guess I will have to give it a try.
I really like TT rare to med/rare.
Al

It felt crazy doing it, very against all instinct and 20 years of TT on kettle pulling at 120ish IT. Completely different flavor/texture/etc, but well worth a big step out of the TT traditional box!

That looks amazing!! Very well done and what a gorgeous smoke ring. Not sure I'd go this route as we like ours medium rare but you sure did that cook justice.

Thank you Sir, again, rare to medium rare is the only way I’ve ever done it. I lived in SD for over 20 years and TT used to be a staple when it was cheap. I recommend trying it, probably will not be a replacement for the rare to medium, but fun to try. Rare to medium will always be my go to for this cut, but this flavor was outstanding and well worth doing again! I really recommend a go.

I have always been a medium rare tri tip kinda guy.I always have to finish my wife's portion off in a hot pan with butter because she wont eat it med rare. This may be best of both worlds. Great job.

I have always been a medium rare tri tip kinda guy.I always have to finish my wife's portion off in a hot pan with butter because she wont eat it med rare. This may be best of both worlds. Great job.
Love it. it's become a staple here when we an get it. I did it "reverse sear" on smoke to 130-ish. fired up napoleon
ifrared side burner with cast iron skillet.browned both sides about 3 min each. came out med. rare-ish. it was awesome

Attachments

• tritip.jpg
    tritip.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 12
Looks great, I'd love some of that right now! I did one that way a couple years ago and it was delicious... and that's the last time I saw tri-tip around here :emoji_cry:

Looks Great !! Like.
However since we don't have them around here, I can "Not Make it" that way, just as good as I can "Not Make It" Medium-Rare.

thank you Bear. I had a hard time finding them here till I stumbled on one butcher who gets direct from the farm. Otherwise it’s impossible to find a legit TT. But, I don’t have a log home so, I think you come out on top!

That looks awesome! The only bad part is I’m looking at this and it’s still a few hours until dinner !😅😅😅

it isn’t a quick turn!

Nice job on a different spin on a tri-tip.
Thank you Warren. It is a strange journey going against everything I thought I knew about the cut.

thank you Sir, that sums up my relationship with me, my wife, and red meat exactly. It’s also why this was such a huge hit at home. I don’t know if I’d take it over rare to medium rare TT, but it’s close!

I cook alot of tri tip and I been torn on this method for a while now. I have 6 or 7 in the freezer. Guess it's time to take the plunge and see for myself. Yours looks delicious and managed to stay juicy. Nice work bud

Love it. it's become a staple here when we an get it. I did it "reverse sear" on smoke to 130-ish. fired up napoleon
ifrared side burner with cast iron skillet.browned both sides about 3 min each. came out med. rare-ish. it was awesome
looks great! I’d crush that too!

Looks great, I'd love some of that right now! I did one that way a couple years ago and it was delicious... and that's the last time I saw tri-tip around here :emoji_cry:
Bummer! It’s strange how that cut of meat is so hard to come by in some places! It’s my favorite mid range red meat to cook by far though! Find a butcher, that’s what I had to do!

Nice work, it’s always good to try new things for sure! It looked like to kept moisture so I’m sure it was tasty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky