Brisket stall question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
Whats the lowest temp you've had a brisket go into a stall? Mine CC temp is holding a steady 245° ish and my brisket seems to have stalled at 251 IT. It been there for well over 90 minutes. I've cooked dozens of briskets but this is the lowest stall temp.ive ever hit and is new to me and I'm curious.
On a side note, it's quite rainy this morning here. No real storms but a fairly steady drizzle, could that higher humidity be changing things up?

Whats the lowest temp you've had a brisket go into a stall? Mine CC temp is holding a steady 245° ish and my brisket seems to have stalled at 251 IT. It been there for well over 90 minutes. I've cooked dozens of briskets but this is the lowest stall temp.ive ever hit and is new to me and I'm curious.
On a side note, it's quite rainy this morning here. No real storms but a fairly steady drizzle, could that higher humidity be changing things up?
I'm wondering if you have a typo in there.. you've said that the brisket stalled at an IT of 251 degrees??

I've had a few that went off the rails too.
The stall is where the amount of moisture exiting the meat (and causing evaporation cooling) equals the amount of heat surrounding the meat.
Ambient humidity and/or the amount of moisture in the meat and inside the cooker, from a water pan for instance, delays the internal temp rise until the evap rate/internal moisture lowers enough for the heat to start to rie again.

I cook at 260 plus and if I get any stall to speak of it happens around 170.
At those cooking temps 151 for a stall doesn't sound all that kooky...

It is very difficult to accurately place the temperature probe in a brisket. I have used multiple probes aiming for the same spot from different directions and had over a 10-12F degree reading.
My guess is that you might have hit the perfect spot this time but maybe not so much in the past.

Here is a picture of 5 different probes in a brisket showing what I mean:

KYSsBbE.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky