Brisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cook1536

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Southeast Missouri
I just picked up a half of beef from the butchers shop and had a brisket cut for me. I was expecting more than what I got. I got 2 pieces that weigh about 2 1/2 pounds each. They are about a foot square and about 1 1/2 inches thick. I have read several posts about smoking briskets and they seem to be alot bigger cuts, around 10-12 pounds. What is the difference? Why is my FRESH beef brisket so much smaller than the ones I have seen in the store and people have talked about on here. Is there a size limit in a KCBS sanctioned event?

Sounds like you might have only gotten the 'flat' although that still sounds a little small.

You got a section of the flat, probably ground up the rest for burger..
confused.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky