Brisket prices

Discussion in 'Beef' started by redrocker65200, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Went to the local mega mart yesterday and found an 6 lb brisket. The kicker was it was 10/pound. WTF. Is this normal?

2. Was it prime? Don't think I've seen higher than $5/lb for select or choice cuts.

3. Not sure. My wife was going to buy it, but not at that price.

4. Can't say that I blame you. Brisket went on sale here in TX around Independence Day. I was paying around $2/lb for choice briskets. Normal price here is closer to $3.50-$4. Can't speak for CA, though. I'm surprised y'all aren't buying air to breath by the pound out there, yet.

5. bummed

bummed Smoke Blower

I was in Sam's looking for a Brisket and they only had the choice for $3.27/lb.

6. I would say that is on par for what I normally see. Unfortunately, the Sam's Club nearest me only sells select briskets.

7. bummed

bummed Smoke Blower

I have never smoked a Brisket so I went out looking and only found this one and Walmart only had the select for $2.97. Not many choices here so I'll be going back to Sam's tomorrow.

Good Luck!

8. Just got this gonna it's gonna be my first

9. bummed

bummed Smoke Blower

Looks awesome, any ideas what rub or preparations you're going to do yet? There are so many ways it can be a bit overwhelming for a newbie.

10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I check Walmart every time I go there for brisket, because from time to time they have Choice mixed in with the Select for the same price.

I've never seen it above $3.00.

Al

11. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

Costco here still offers prime packers for $2.59/lb  Fred Meyer sells a lesser quality for double the price.  I guess shopping around is the only way to ensure the best price.

12. I wonder why we in the SF bay area are so much more expensive. And the piece she saw was on sale for 6.99/pound. Still alot man re than you guys

13. A few weeks ago, WalMart here had a whole cooler case filled with prime briskets for $1.99/lb. I remember you telling me to "GO BUY THEM, NOW!!" LOL...

14. bummed

bummed Smoke Blower

These dropped in price from $3.27 to $2.89 in just a day. I had to settle for a 10 pounder but it's my first so it should be a good place to start.