Brisket Price Variations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
icon_eek.gif
 , I have no response to this , I just save up and beg the Wife...
102.gif

My local Cash & Carry has Brisket packers for $2.77 lb thru 8-2. The ad doesn't say what grade, but if you're patient, I believe you can coax great taste out of any grade of brisket.

My local Cash & Carry has Brisket packers for $2.77 lb thru 8-2. The ad doesn't say what grade, but if you're patient, I believe you can coax great taste out of any grade of brisket.
I received the same ad from Cash & Carry.

If you are near a Smart & Final, I picked up a pair of Harris Ranch Black Angus Primes @ $3.19/lb last Sunday. This is their regular price for choice briskets that they carry.

If you are near a Smart & Final, I picked up a pair of Harris Ranch Black Angus Primes @ $3.19/lb last Sunday. This is their regular price for choice briskets that they carry.
Nope, they appear to be mainly in CA and nearby.

Was at Dillons here on Friday and they were asking $70 for a 12lb brisket........I thought that was insane but after reading this thread some of the prices mentioned is truly insane. Usually I do not like getting beef at Walmart but if I can get it for under $3 lb and then pick through them I will. Only thing is at Walmart you see some monster fat caps on their briskets.

I was at my local Cash & Carry yesterday. Apparently they are affiliated with Smart & Final. Picked up one of the only 2 briskets they had left, around 15 lbs.

Newbie post, bear with me.

I was making the rounds anticipating buying for a bunch of guests showing up.

Wal Mart price for the large rectangular brisket "is that what you call a Packer"?  was 2.96/lb, none on the shelf at Costco, Sams was $3.08 and $2.85 in case lots for I believe 80 lbs.

The smaller brisket triangular shaped "is that the point"? was $6.56 at Wal Mart and $5.47 at Sams. Most of sams meat was Choice grade, Angus beef.

My regular BBQ buddy said brisket was as high as $7-8 bucks a pound during the last year at Costco, and he quit using those as they got so pricey

The surprising thing was Costco shoppers were buying like it was the end of days, with lines of folks at the registers, and a line halfway through the front of the store to get out. Sams you could have fired a cannon down the aisles and not hit anybody. It was eerie.

On a related note, the briskets have a ton of fat over an inch thick on them. Do you folks trim that fat or leave it on when you cook??

Yeah I checked brisket at my Costco this weekend, $7 / lb.  It's a bit too rich for me.  I want to make sure I dont mess it up.  Doing a pork butt as we speak.

Newbie post, bear with me.

I was making the rounds anticipating buying for a bunch of guests showing up.

Wal Mart price for the large rectangular brisket "is that what you call a Packer"?  was 2.96/lb, none on the shelf at Costco, Sams was $3.08 and $2.85 in case lots for I believe 80 lbs.

The smaller brisket triangular shaped "is that the point"? was $6.56 at Wal Mart and $5.47 at Sams. Most of sams meat was Choice grade, Angus beef.

My regular BBQ buddy said brisket was as high as $7-8 bucks a pound during the last year at Costco, and he quit using those as they got so pricey

The surprising thing was Costco shoppers were buying like it was the end of days, with lines of folks at the registers, and a line halfway through the front of the store to get out. Sams you could have fired a cannon down the aisles and not hit anybody. It was eerie.

On a related note, the briskets have a ton of fat over an inch thick on them. Do you folks trim that fat or leave it on when you cook??
yes, at $2.96 a pound, I would assume thats the packer

the other cuts are just the packer either trimmed down or the point or flat separated and sold at a premium

Choice is pretty standard as far as availability and cheap, which is what you want especially for a beginner.  it takes a really good cook to make the higher quality of meats worth the price, IMO

yes, most trim the fat to about 1/4" thick at the thickest places

Jealous of the prices many of you are getting!!

We buy straight from the meat packer up near our summer place - they get their beef straight from the local farms - and we pay $5 a pound.  The quality is outstanding - but I'd surely love to only be paying $2-3 a pound when we're buying 20+ pounds at a time!

Man, I just bought a 7 pound flat because I've been wanting to work on my briskets after spending so much time in Austin and buying my egg. I bought it locally at a Publix for $6.99/lb. I'll be checking Costco from now on first. My local Wal-Marts don't carry brisket, but have pork shoulders and spare ribs for $1.79/lb. 

I know its an old post...I live in north Dakota...and have many local butchers and remember we only have 600 thousand people in the whole state...and we raise a lot of beef....one of my local markets is certified CHOICE herford and the other is certified CHOICE angus and then the many smaller shops offer both...I really like the herford one day and angus the next....anybody  like one or the other better?? the wallmarts and sams don't really say one way or the other on what you are buying...and if you want a big piece of meat they have it...seems to me that is the older big critters offered...but just want an opinion if you have any experience with question...jeff

Man, with the prices you guys are uoating, I'm getting royally screwed in St.Louis. We are selling select Angus flats at $10 /lb and short rib (what y'all have been calling brontosaurus ribs) for $7/lb.

I'm beginning to think I can't afford this new hobby.

I work for a unionized grocer and have never even looked at the wally world prices, but might have to. I doubt they will be much cheaper, it's kinda charge what the market will bare. We also can't get tri-tip in this area. However I did learn that a peice we often trim from the top sirloin, is actually a peice of the tri-tip. Might have to set one aside the next time they go on sale cheap.

As has been said in this thread the likes of wings were trash even ribs were a few years ago it all comes down to these 2 words that I don't care for and that is supply and demand but also remember there is only 2 briskets per beef cow. My local Wal-Mart this weekend $2.46 lb. for brisket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky