Brisket Point only questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stapler1234

Original poster
Jul 12, 2021
I know there isn't an exact answer to this question and that good BBQ is done when it's done but the wife is bugging me because we have guests coming over. BUT, I have a 4.4 lb Brisket Point that measures nearly 3 inches at its thickest point.

This is my first brisket cook and I know starting off with just the point only might not be ideal but I thought I would give it a shot anyways.

Does anyone know roughly how long this will take? Is 1 to 1.5 hours still a rough estimate? Should I follow all the steps in cooking it like a full packer brisket?

Lastly, might be a dumb question but will it hold in the cooler the same as a full size for a couple hours?

We are trying to eat by 530 / 6 ish.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Andrew

Welcome. At 225 and that thin, I would think 4 hours would do the job. Give your self an addition hour to CYA. That small a mass will stay hot, above 140, for 2-3 hours, half the time a Full Packer will hold. Based on you meal time, put it in a hot smoker at Noon and you should be Golden...JJ

Reactions: Big Buster
6 hours plus a hour or 2 holding, better done to soon and hold in hot box, not much wiggle room starting at noon imo if wanting to eat at 6:00

Reactions: chopsaw
I cook points all the time but I go hot and fast, which is from 300 to 350 and they take 4 hours at that temp.
I don't trust 225 to get it done at 4 hours, BUT if you are going to hold it for 4 hours it will continue to cook and tenderize.

These guy think this meat will take longer, so I would go longer. These guys can be trusted...JJ☺

I do all mine at higher temps , and plan on an early finish .
Stress free smoke zone . Enjoy it .
yes this! I would build in lots of buffer. it will stay warm in a cooler for a long time. Better done early than the stress of watching the degrees click up ever so slowly with people watching. I do all my briskets at 275. I left 225 a long time ago - its just so slow.

I agree with 250-275*
let that roll in the smoke about 4 hours, check IT for reference then foil wrap in a aluminum pan and into the oven to finish At probe tender.

If you are cooking today, I'm probably late to the game, but points are usually irregular in shape and thicker on one end, like your's is. But the good news is.... points almost cook themselves, and they are almost never dry.

I like to butterfly the thicker end so the overall thickness more even. Just make little shallow slices and the knobby end will lay right down. This will really help. On a 4# one I plan on about 3 hours of smoke time and if it has good color, I'll wrap.... which might take 2 to 3 hours more to cook it tender. I rest at least 2 hours on a point (longer on a flat).
4Tvdpvd.jpg
SAGNbET.jpg

I just want to thank everyone for their advice and input! This forum has been so helpful in raising my BBQ game.
there are so many good people on here! search existing threads and ask as needed, you will find support. I know for a fact my cooking game has improved dramatically as well since joining the awesome forum!

Post up your cooks! we all enjoying seeing what others are making.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky