Brisket & Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kusinskij

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
New Albany Indiana
I corned a brisket flat last week, rinsed it and rubbed it down with my Pastrami rub on Friday morning. I also rubbed down a brisket and put them both in a cooler. This morning I got up at 5:00 AM to get them in the smoker.  All was looking good until about 20 minutes ago when it started raining cats & dogs.  Now my plan is to move them both (Once the rain lets up) into my MES 40 to finish. I can run my MES in my workshop as long as I don't add wood chips.  So far, no pictures, but I'll get some when I pull them off (Before I cut the point into cubes for burnt ends)....

Been so busy I forgot all about posting pictures.  Here goes:

2.25 pounds of smoked Bologna.  Injected with some NC style BBQ sauce, rubed wit hbrisket rub.

Brisket resting (I had to cut into it for a quick taste!!!!!!)

Brisket after resting for 40 minutes

Pastrami sitting on the slicer waiting to be sliced.

Sliced Pastrami.... It was D@$ good.......

drool.gif

Can't wait 'til the weather gets a bit cooler here. We've had about 10 straight days in the 105° range or higher. I did do some CSRs Tuesday but I did them in the MES and only went out to look at 'em once.

For some reason, smoked and grilled goodies taste a whole lot better in chilly weather (not that we ever get much of that in this part of Texas.)

Good stuff!  I just started a pastrami from brisket today for the first time, and I hope it turns out as nice-looking as yours!

Thanks.  Here are my recipes:

[h2]Home-Cured Corned Beef[/h2]

1-1/2 cups kosher salt   

1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons pink salt (optional)

3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons pickling spice

1 5 – 8 pound beef brisket
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped

1 medium onion, peeled and cut in two
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped

In pot large enough to hold brisket, combine 1 gallon of water with kosher salt, sugar, sodium nitrite (if using), garlic and 2 tablespoons pickling spice. Bring to a simmer, stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.

Place brisket in brine, weighted with a plate to keep it submerged; cover. Refrigerate for 5 to 10 days.  Remove brisket from brine and rinse thoroughly. If making pastrami, skip rest of recipe.

Place in a pot just large enough to hold it. Cover with water and add remaining pickling spice, carrot, onion and celery. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer gently until brisket is fork-tender, about 3 hours, adding water if needed to cover brisket.

[h2]Jim’s Pastrami
 [/h2][h2]5 – 8 pound Corned Beef Brisket[/h2]

Seasoning Blend

Pastrami Rub

Yellow Mustard

Seasoning Blend:

¼ cup cracked black pepper

2 tablespoons granulated garlic

2 tablespoons ground coriander

1 tablespoon dry mustard

Pastrami Rub:

3 tablespoons cracked black pepper

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon granulated garlic

½ teaspoon dried thyme

2 teaspoons hot Hungarian paprika

First Step:  Trim fat to ¼ inch thickness.  Coat brisket with a thin layer of yellow mustard.  Rub seasoning blend over all sides of brisket. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least three days.

Second Step:  Rinse mustard and seasoning off brisket. Soak in cold water for 4 to 8 hours, changing the water every two hours. Apply another thin layer of yellow mustard, than rub brisket with the pastrami rub. Refrigerate overnight or allow to sit at room temperature while you prepare the smoker (Overnight is best).

Cooking:  Place in smoker (200 to 225 degrees).  Cooking until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove from smoker and wrap in heavy duty foil. Let cool at room temperature.  Once cooled, refrigerate until ready to slice.  Eat cold, warm in over or steam on flat-top until warm.

If you try these recipes, let me know what you think....

That smoked Balony looks great, I am building a UDS smoker and would like to try this, what did you use for spices and how long did you smoke it?  My mouth is watering looking at your pictures, great job!!

CanadianSmoker,

First I do  diagonal cut on the log, then inject it with some BBQ sauce (Use your favorite) with a little bit of the dry rub.  Then I rub it down with this:

Dry Rub (Per pound):

½ teaspoon Ground Cumin

½ teaspoon Granulated Garlic

½ teaspoon Sea or Kosher Salt

½ teaspoon Chili Powder

½ teaspoon Cornstarch

¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper

I wrap it in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at leat 24 hours.  I normally smoke it with Bourbon barrel wood for 4 to 6 hours.  Let it cool and slice as thick as you like. It is great for sandwiches, by itself or if you want, cut a hole in the middle and fry and egg in it.....

Hope you enjoy it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky