Brisket on Treager 780

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ace8177

Original poster
Sep 5, 2015
Any input on better results to go 9 hrs at 250, then wrap at 250 versus maybe 12 plus hours at 180 then wrap and bump up? I've seen both and want to get a good tender one. Gonna use Pecan pellets.

Any input on better results to go 9 hrs at 250, then wrap at 250 versus maybe 12 plus hours at 180 then wrap and bump up? I've seen both and want to get a good tender one. Gonna use Pecan pellets.

The lower the temp you cook brisket on a pellet smoker the longer it takes. That's it.
You don't get better smoke flavor or a better brisket cooking 180 vs 250. The only variable is your rub and bark formation. 250 is right on the edge of burning sugary rubs. If you're running a simple S&P or SPOG rub it's not a concern.
I prefer the higher temp for a shorter cook, and less time in the "danger zone" for bacteria growth.

Reactions: tallbm

Hi there and welcome!

Briskets are only done when they are tender. They are tender when you can stab ALL OVER with something like a kabob skewer and it goes in like the brisket was butter and the skewer was hot.

Briskets are NEVER finished by time or temp... only tenderness.

Now, you can use the brisket Internal Temp (IT) to indicate when to check for tenderness. I personally wait until an IT of 200F on Choice briskets and 198F on Prime briskets.
When you hit that temp, check for tenderness. If tender ALL OVER then pull it. If not then let IT raise another couple of degrees and test again. Pull when tender.

As for time, it matters but it will not tell you when your brisket is done.
In my smoker a brisket generally cooks at just a little over an hour a pound with my smoker running a steady 275F and the brisket unwrapped the entire time. I don't know the rough timeline at a smoker temp of 250F.

Get your estimated time at your target smoker temp figured out and then I highly recommend you add 4 hours to that planned time so you can ensure it has enough time to be done. If it finishes 4 hours early that is idea. You just tightly double wrap in foil, tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the table and it will be piping hot and ready to slice 4 hours later. I promise.
If it doesn't finish 4 hours early... you have 4 extra hours to get the job done haha.

Wrapping the brisket is up to you. I do like the fact that you are wanting to wait until an IT of 180F to wrap. This would almost guarantee you don't wrap it too early and end up with a roast beef brisket flavor instead of a smoked brisket flavor :)

As mentioned in the previous post. Don't have any sugar in your rub/seasoning if running smoker at 250F+, you don't want to burn the sugar and waste a brisket. I got Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic (SPOG) and love it!

Your pecan pellets will be fine but your smoke flavor may be a bit weak. I would suggest Oak or some blend with Mesquite in it. Mesquite and beef simply cannot be beat.

Finally, place your meat probe in the thickest yet center most part of the FLAT muscle. Nowhere else. The FLAT muscle is the problem child and will be the last to get tender. The point is easy going and unless you burn it or pull the brisket way early, the point will be fine.

I hope all this info helps :)

Reactions: motocrash
I run mine at 275 till probe tender all over. usually somewhere IT200 +/- 5 but the temps are highly variable. at 275 I can get a brisket started at 0600 and eat it for supper same day pretty easy. tallbm tallbm has you covered on many good points.

Reactions: Cabo and tallbm
the lower the temp the more smoke it puts out, its a proven fact and folks want to say it makes no difference but i have different results , I have ran mine 180 for multiple hours and at 250 same thing, more smoke and flavor from the lower temp brisket

I sometimes run mine at 180 for an hour or before pulling it up to 275 for the duration. I would like to think it makes a difference, but there are so many factors its hard to say. might just be more of a feeling like I did something.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky