Brisket No. 1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

surgeboy

Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
NY State
Good morning everyone. I am going to smoke a brisket Tomarrow morning. I can use all the advice you got never done brisket before.. I do have one question? I am using a Charbroil stand up smoker with water tray. What is the best temp for this and also, I don't know how much charcoal to use so latley the temp gets up over 300 degrees if my temp gets up high can I put the meat in and let it come down or should I use less charcoal so the temp stays lower HELP. I also would love any recipe hints Thank you Thank you !!!!!!!

Welcome Surgeboy....I have found that a constant temperature of about 250* (+ or - 10*) is a real good temp for smoking brisket. If you want a comprehensive treatise on brisket smoking, go to the Beef forum and read Dutchs' sticky ( I think it's the #1 sticky in that forum. Good luck and good smokin', Harold..........
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

Welcome to SMF. I start a little high then let it come back down and add a little coal at a time. You're trying to keep it between 225 and 250. Make sure you keep the temp at grate level. By the way, what kind of smoker do you have? Some are better with heat control than others.

when you put the meat in, the temp will fall some. like they said, 225-250°. i am doing two briskets today. you buy a packer, or flat or point? i only smoke packer cut briskets. make sure you take your temp checks in the flat. go to the beef section, there is alot of threads on briskets in there. good luck!

p.s. don't forget the pics.

Welcome Surgeboy -

Brisket is an easy smoke if you follow a few simple rules:

1) trim all but about 1/4 inch thick layer of fat off
2) keep the smoker about 230° to 250° F
3) apply your rub to all sides
4) spray it about every hour with apple juice or some other juice
5) Don't be surprized if the internal temperature stops at arond 140 to 160 and stays there for 2,3 or 4 hours - just wait!
6) once the temperture gets up to 160° to 170° FI wrap it in foil to catch the juices (some don't)
7) when the temp gets up to 180° to 205° F you can pull it for slicing
8) when the temp gets up to 200° to 205° F you can pull it for pulling
9) When you internal temperature gets to within about 10° of your target carefully pull it of and unwrap the foil careful not to loose and of those juices and return it to the smoker (this gets it crispy again)
10) finish to target temperature
11) At target temperature wrap again in double tin foil and toels and place it in a cooler for about two hours

wait
wait
wait

EAT!

Good Luck

Hi surgeboy!...Welcome to the SMF!...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
It's a Great place to be!

Great Folks, Great Food, Tons of info, and more fun than you can shake a rib bone at!

Hope that brisket turned out great for you. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Welcome Aboard!....

Until Later...

Welcome to SMF from a fellow New Yorker. Good luck with that first brisket. Follow the advice you've been given and I am sure it will turn out great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky