Brisket & (my 1st attempt @) Burnt Ends.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Been looking forward to doing a brisket a little different from what I'm used to. I've never Really tried making burnt ends. So I wanted to cook a full packer, and once cooked, separate flat from point. Cube the entire point, and put them back on the heat and smoke for some chewy sweet and savory burnt ends. Boy did they turn out great.

I hope this isn't redundant, as I've already posted a brisket or two. But I took pics throughout, and I really find these types of threads to be beneficial (even for me to go back to every once in a while). So here it goes, pics and a brief low-down on the cook.

Started yesterday about 6am. Had a 16 lb prime packer, trimmed about 4/5 lbs off & seasoned it with Sucklebusters SPG (I really really like the Sucklebusters rubs).

Brought my smoker up to 300 with pecan splits. This was my second time using the propane torch to start the fire. Boy do I like this thing. Especially yesterday. The winds were tricky and I fought the fire all day. The torch saved me a time or two.

Ran at 250 the entire day. Brisket came off after about 11 hours. I wrapped it at 175, pulled at 205. I can't really say I had any complaints at all. Brisket flat was pull apart tender. Point was juicy Lucy, until I cubed it, threw in some sauce and brought it back to smoker for what ended up being about 4.5 more hours.

Right before the wrap:

Right as it came off:

Flat separated and sliced. Omg so yummy:

Burnt ends back on smoke, and I am getting pretty sleepy:

And here they are all finished. By now it was bed time, so yeah, I'm having brisket burnt ends and fried eggs for breakfast...yippee!!!!

I hope everyone enjoys their Memorial Day weekend. Thanks to all who have served our country, and a special thanks to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for us to enjoy times like this with our friends and loved ones.

Beautiful brisket, Saint! That slice hanging over the knife says it all!
Point for keeping 250 all day and a 16 pounder done in 11 hours :77:
Thumbs Up

Dan

Beautiful brisket, Saint! That slice hanging over the knife says it all!
Point for keeping 250 all day and a 16 pounder done in 11 hours :77:
Thumbs Up

Dan

Thanks Dan! But I feel like it was more like 11 lbs after I trimmed it. The swirling, inconsistent winds proved the biggest challenge of all. In fact, I had to leave for about an hour or so early on in the cook. My better half knows the basics of fire mgt, and she did a fantastic job tending to the fire while I was gone. But she also had a whole new appreciation for how challenging it can be in certain conditions.

IMHO, wind is the biggest problem in smoking, either from sucking heat off your smoker or from blowing more smoke from the firebox than from the stack. If I asked the Mrs to watch the fire while I ran an errand I'd just get a funny look.

My kudos still stand...[emoji]128578[/emoji]

Dan

Wow, looks awesome!  Doing the same right now....but different sleep pattern :)

Put a 14.5 lb brisket on at 2:30 Sunday afternoon.

Wrapped it at 168* around 5am this morning  (yeah, got up at 3am to check on progress).

Just put some ribs on as well and kicked the heat back up to 250* along with some more smoke for the ribs.

Targeting 9am for cubing the point and getting a good 3 hrs for the burnt ends.

Enjoy the smoked goodness with your eggs!

Saint That looks Delicious Raining here hope it stops for the afternoon BBQ Points

Richie

usa.gif

Maaaan those burnt ends look AMAZINg like candy to a baby. Thank you for giving me something to shoot for on the next smoke!

Burnt ends look awesome!  Points

I would give you more points if I could have one of your beers 
cheers.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky