Brisket... Its been years...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Xendau

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 23, 2018
Long Beach, CA
Greetings all!

Some of you may remember me, many will not. I hated the hiatus but real life had to come first.

I can say I am happy to be back here @ SMF.

So today I am doing my first cook in many moons (about 6 to 8 months) and I am going all out.

Brisket.

Heading to the local butcher to grab a full 12 - 16 pounder still in vacuum pack. I plan to trim myself but still have to pay the $5.99 per pound. :emoji_disappointed::emoji_laughing:

I will also be picking up some pork loins for jerk and mojo style pork. (but I digress)

Im looking for any and all input from the amazing members here. I haven't done a brisket in well over 6 years. Of course, like any good member I will be researching the numerous posts on how others have navigated the brisket rabbit hole.

Hold tight, this could be a bumpy ride... lol

7/13/19 12:20 pm - The Beginning

Just bought the Brisket... Not the best I had hoped for but the best I could find locally, and Ive been scouting all week.

Brisket 1 - 071319.jpg Brisket 2 - 071319.jpg Brisket 3 - 071319.jpg Brisket 4 - 071319.jpg

I thought it was Prime, but they only had choice... May have to online order next time.

Have to run back out for accompaniments and any extras I need... (coughs... BEER)

I wanted to get this back in cooling until I get back home. Im skipping the pork loins and decided to just do a shoulder that I bought earlier this week. Think Im doing a jerk wet marinade instead of my tried and true go to. Switch things up a bit...

7/13/19 8:20 pm

So, dropped the ball and curled up with the lady for a "few minutes" ended up being an hour or so after pulling the brisket to trim.

It was hard to trim for two main reasons:

1 - A lot of the fat had started to soften.

2 - I didn't sharpen my knives today as I promised myself for the past few weeks.

07/13/19 9:935 pm

I put the brisket back into the fridge after seasoning until the fire clams down. I put too many hot coals into the fire box out of the chimney. Just recently removed it so its not going on too cold. Temps are 216 Left - 182 right... I just want the smoke to clean up some before placing the brisket on.

Brisket Rubbed 1 - 071319.jpg Brisket Rubbed 3 - 071319.jpg

I decided to come up with a rub on the fly... but I kept it super simple. I started with Jeff's Texas rub... It was just too "powdery" to me. I never added the Chili Powder or Cayenne. I altered the salt & pepper ratio to the onion and garlic powders too. So its basically 2:3:1:1 - SPOG We will see.

07/14/19 11:20 am

Sooooooo…. Not very happy.

Is it the new briquets (Kingsford Pro)? Is it the wood? It cant be my Fireboard, as the ATC never had a chance to engage due to the high temps.

My temps have fluctuated so much this cook. I am actually baffled.

I know I haven't smoked/grilled in months, but damn. Im no rookie. The only variable has been the Kingsford Pro. I usually use regular, but couldn't imagine there would be that much fluctuation.

I will post my Fireboard temps to this post. At one time I went out with welder's gloves, took the entire coals out and started from scratch.

It seems the briquettes seem to catch fire too fast. Even when choking off air, they still seem to fire up. I didn't want to choke the fire due to bad smoke. But some time in the AM I just decided to choke it half way at the exhaust damper/ smoke stack.

I just had to make the decision to let it ride out and see where the cards land....

Currently the Brisket is 174 @ Point and 168 @ Flat. 11:39 am

But hell... I have no clue how the temp fluctuations may have impacted this cook.

7/20/19 - Update from last weeks Brisket

Sorry for the delay guys.... So, here are the pics from last weeks Brisket. When I pulled it was too late, I went to bed. I rarely do anything online during the week, as Im on a computer all day.

Anyway, The furthest part of the flat came out a bit dry. Mid flat came out good, and the point was nice. It was a "good" brisket, but Ive made better.

I don't know, Im having a beast of a time dialing my OKJ reverse flow smoker in this season. Ive done everything the same... and for some reason, when I do the minion method, the coals just keep catching on fire like a California Wild Fire.

Im going to factory reset my Fireboard. Im going to clean the smoker up and seal off what I think are problem spots. Im buying a new fan and relocating it under the cooking chamber pointing towards the inlet damper to avoid blowing ash towards the cooking chamber opening.

Overall, this cook was successful, but I wasn't ecstatic about the results. I hope to buy a better brisket for less and turn a different outcome.

We will see....

Brisket Smoked 1 - 071319.jpg

Brisket Smoked 3 - 071319.jpg

Brisket Smoked 2 - 071319.jpg

Last edited:
giphy.gif

In! 5.99...Ouch :emoji_sweat_smile: Prime? Keep the trim simple, season to hearts content. Fat cap... uh oh... here we go... towards heat source.... if heat is from bottom, place it fat down with the point nearest the heat source and flat away. As far as spritz, sprays, wraps... That is all personal preference. I try and go no wrap if I can and time supports the cook and a proper rest. Foil or butcher paper if you need to crutch or want to. I spray a few times in the first couple hours to keep the surface moist. Then I let em ride.

Obviously, there's a million ways to skin a brisket:emoji_wink:

Key thing... PICS! :emoji_laughing:

Good luck and have fun.

Zach

Reactions: Xendau
Thanks for the input Neb... I plan on going no wrap. I do not recall the quality of the cut, but I will be sure to take pictures as soon as I get it home.

I know some people do injections into the meat, I would like to steer clear of that. I want to find a good rub recipe, or used one of my tried and true, but am unclear of how it is on beef (except tri-tip which BTW are trimmed @ 3.99 pp - walk away from the trip-tip, walk away... think brisket). Sorry had to bring myself back.

Im still scouring the website for tips and tricks I will Frankenstein into this cook...

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Pick a good one, good seal in the cryovac bag - little to no air in bag, nice tender flopiness - I like them when they fold almost in half, I look for one with an even thickness to the Flat- and the thickest flat.

Minimum amount of trim, remove the corn, trim only the hard fat and leave 1/4-1/2 and inch and round the corners of the flat.

Rub it with coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper, maybe some granulated garlic and onion.

Forget the Low-n-Slow, cook that sucker Hot-n-Fast at 275°-300°.
Wrap in butcher paper at about 165°-170° or let it go naked the whole cook.
Start probing the thickest part of the Flat for tenderness at 195°.
Not likely to be ready that early, but ya never know.
More likely at 200° -205°, rarely as high as 210°.

Wrap and rest for at least an hour or more.

G'luck with the cook, and yes... We expect some great Qview!

Chile! My guy... How are you brother?!

No Low n Slow? Hmmm.... I was hoping to utilize my fireboard (which I still will) for a good long cook.

BTW bro... People are still talking about the modded version of ABTs I made based on your recipe. And the meal setting Stuffed Pasillas (Sapos - lol).

Im heading to the butcher right now....

BTW... I bought a $799 Traeger. Not enough smoke flavor for me. Took it back to Costco. :( I was hoping for better results from a pellet smoker.)

Last edited:
Chile! My guy... How are you brother?!

No Low n Slow? Hmmm.... I was hoping to utilize my fireboard (which I still will) for a good long cook.

BTW bro... People are still talking about the modded version of ABTs I made based on your recipe. And the meal setting Stuffed Pasillas (Sapos - lol).

Im heading to the butcher right now....

BTW... I bought a $799 Traeger. Not enough smoke flavor for me. Took it back to Costco. :( I was hoping for better results from a pellet smoker.)
Doing pretty good here, dancing around the edge of Hurricane Barry, staying out of the rain and cooking some good Japanese food.
How about you, what's kept ya away?

Nothing wrong with Low-n-Slow.
A few of us here have been doing them Extreme Hot-n-Fast at 375°-400°, four to five hour briskets.
Extreme Hot-n-Fast Brisket

Yes'sir, gotta love those entree sized ABTs.

Bummer, ya think and $800. smoker/grill would put out some good smoke.
G'luck on your cook, I'll be tuned in.

Just an update.... REALLY late leaving the house trying to figure my rub to use.... Im stuck.... sugar or no sugar.

I am a traditionalist and tend to like beef without sugar. Never the less, I bought Jeff's recipes, and will probably end up using his Texas Style Rub. The only thing I think I may want in there is celery seed... But I think it would be best tried as recommended.

Chile... checked your Hot -n- Fast thread... Holy Rat's Butt...

Im still undecided. But Im heading back out. Ill be back in a few to get the rub ready for the beef and the jerk marinade for the pork.

To get a pellet grill going above 225F they burn the pellets really efficiently and then don't produce much smoke, Hence why most people that have them buy a smoke tube. I'm not a fan of dirty smoldering smoke and think it has a off putting flavor compared to using wood as fuel.

As to the brisket, keep it simple course salt and pepper. If you wanna get fancy add some granulated onion and garlic and maybe some cayenne pepper. NO SUGAR, it will burn. I feel people get too carried away with making a rub overly complicated with too many ingredients. The meat is the star, the rub, smoke and sauce if you like play supporting roles.

So, dropped the ball and curled up with the lady for a "few minutes" ended up being an hour or so after pulling the brisket to trim.

It was hard to trim for two main reasons:

1 - A lot of the fat had started to soften.

2 - I didn't sharpen my knives today as I promised myself for the past few weeks.

To get a pellet grill going above 225F they burn the pellets really efficiently and then don't produce much smoke, Hence why most people that have them buy a smoke tube. I'm not a fan of dirty smoldering smoke and think it has a off putting flavor compared to using wood as fuel.

Not sure where this came in... but okay. If you think I meant I couldn't get a heavier smoke flavor like I do from my offset... Hence I use a "dirtier smoke" (ie "more flavor") I think you may have been mistaken.

I just have a preference to the smoke I get and where I get it from. Ive yet to find a pellet smoker to win me off that stance as of yet. As of Ive bought two and the latest being in excess of $800... and two went back to the store. Im happy for people who love their pellet smokers. Im also happy for those who buy cars that aren't manual transmission. Doesn't mean I need to subscribe to the doctrine. Its not for me, it fails to produce the flavor I seek, time and time again. But thank you for your input.

Is it the new briquets (Kingsford Pro)? Is it the wood? It cant be my Fireboard, as the ATC never had a chance to engage due to the high temps.

My temps have fluctuated so much this cook. I am actually baffle.

I know I haven't smoked/grilled in months, but damn. Im no rookie. The only variable has been the Kingsford Pro. I usually use regular, but couldn't imagine there would be that much fluctuation.

I will post my Fireboard temps to this post. At one time I went out with welder's gloves, took the entire coals out and started from scratch.

It seems the briquettes seem to catch fire too fast. Even when choking off air, they still seem to fire up. I didn't want to choke the fire due to bad smoke. But some time in the AM I just decided to choke it half way at the exhaust damper/ smoke stack.

I just had to make the decision to let it ride out and see where the cards land....

But hell... I have no clue how the temp fluctuations may have impacted this cook.

My temps have fluctuated so much this cook. I am actually baffle.

Brisket is very forgiving, the meat will be fine, your confidence may take a beating until dinner time though.

There are people here cooking brisket at 375-400.

I would grab a beer and watch the IT until time to probe for tenderness and relax, it’ll buff out.

I think it will be ok, i agree that other sources of smoke are probably better than a pellet grill, but also take more effort. I also like the concept of the KBQ C-60 smoker, would love to hear reviews on that.

Brisket is very forgiving, the meat will be fine, your confidence may take a beating until dinner time though.

There are people here cooking brisket at 375-400.

I would grab a beer and watch the IT until time to probe for tenderness and relax, it’ll buff out.

That's pretty much what Ive been doing... lol The meat is on, and for some ungodly reason, I cant seem to regulate the temps in my smoker. (Again, only the charcoal is the different variable here)

It still hasn't reached 195 - 200 yet but is super close.

I will keep you guys updated.

(The resting is going to KILL me, Im HANGRY now!)

Just pulled a brisket earlier today. I used Jeff's Texas Rub recipe. It's one of my favorites on brisket. Ours turned out great. Keep us posted and we love pics! Hopefully you'll get that temp up in that smoker and get 'er done!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky