Brisket in pan or on rack?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Landon Ferster

Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Smoking my first brisket in an electric smoker. Some recipes say to leave the brisket in a disposable aluminum pan, others say to just put it on the rack. Which is better!?

I put mine on the rack,coarse I also put water in the water pan too,I have been known to put it on a rack and set the rack in a pan,it catches the moisture and then bastes the meat while smoke can get to all sides of the meat which means a win win for me,pick a direction and head that way,most of the time food turns out great

I prefer the rack, a Pan makes it easier to get out though..

Thanks! Maybe you’ll know. Some recipes say fill the drip tray with water. Others say Apple cider vinegar. Which do you prefer and is there much of a taste difference?

Thanks! Maybe you’ll know. Some recipes say fill the drip tray with water. Others say Apple cider vinegar. Which do you prefer and is there much of a taste difference?
I run a MES, so I don't put -any thing- in the water pan. I did once and it actually turned a 20 hour smoke into 34 hours.

I run a MES, so I don't put -any thing- in the water pan. I did once and it actually turned a 20 hour smoke into 34 hours.
Oh wow that’s crazy. I have a 9 lb brisket so I thinking it’s going to be in the neighbourhood of 10 hours or so. Do you think anything in the drip tray would extend that? I have the exact same smoker as you.

Oh wow that’s crazy. I have a 9 lb brisket so I thinking it’s going to be in the neighbourhood of 10 hours or so. Do you think anything in the drip tray would extend that? I have the exact same smoker as you.
Don't put -any- liquid in a MES Electric Smoker. They're crazy well insulated. You add liquid and it has problems ever going over 170f IT. Also 10 hours will likely turn out much longer ;) Brisket is done when it decides it is, and not before. Remember 205f IT is just a time to start shoving some thing into it to see if it's butter tender.

Don't put -any- liquid in a MES Electric Smoker. They're crazy well insulated. You add liquid and it has problems ever going over 170f IT. Also 10 hours will likely turn out much longer ;) Brisket is done when it decides it is, and not before. Remember 205f IT is just a time to start shoving some thing into it to see if it's butter tender.
Oh wow ok. Thanks for all the help! I’ll keep it dry and start looking at it when it’s around 200!

Oh wow ok. Thanks for all the help! I’ll keep it dry and start looking at it when it’s around 200!
I'd strongly suggest looking at some step by step type things, or at least posting your full plan here..but yah. Brisket has -alot- of fat, so it's hard to really dry it out, and when I put water in a pan so said drippings didn't burn to the water pan to make Au Jus..wasn't worth it. Hyper smokey and salty liquid, wasn't all that good. Better off with a bit of canned beef broth to reheat it etc.

I'd strongly suggest looking at some step by step type things, or at least posting your full plan here..but yah. Brisket has -alot- of fat, so it's hard to really dry it out, and when I put water in a pan so said drippings didn't burn to the water pan to make Au Jus..wasn't worth it. Hyper smokey and salty liquid, wasn't all that good. Better off with a bit of canned beef broth to reheat it etc.
Wicked! And just to be sure, fat side up?

You didn't say whether you had a full packer or just a flat.
If it's a full packer then on the rack, if it's just a flat then I would suggest you smoke it in a pan.
Al

I agree with Al, If it's a full packer then on the rack. If it's a flat then in a pan. Since full packers are very scarce around here and I have to do flats most of the time. I have a rack that sits in the pan that holds the brisket above what ever liquid I put in the pan or that drips into the pan. It helps prevent the soggy bottom brisket blues.

Chris

You didn't say whether you had a full packer or just a flat.
If it's a full packer then on the rack, if it's just a flat then I would suggest you smoke it in a pan.
Al
Thanks Al. It’s just a flat. But I don’t think I can fit the pan that I have in the smoker. So the rack it is. And here we go haha. Wish me luck o_O

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky