Brisket! First time not wrapping...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cowgirljac

Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Greetings all,

Planing to cut the point off a brisket and smoke it (the rest of the brisket will be pastrami) unwrapped. This will be my first unwrapped brisket. I have a MES. Does anyone have any advice when smoking unwrapped in an electric smoker? Does anyone use a “boat”?
I am planing to smoke at 270 ( hotter than I’ve done before) with mesquite chips and pull it at 190-210 whenever it’s done. I am hoping to have good bark by not wrapping in foil.
I will rest it in the oven or a cooler for an hour or so.

FWIW.... There is a product that seems to work for maintaining crisp bark... Not as crisp as nekkid smoking, but it will avert the stall also...

Pink Butcher Kraft Paper Roll - 18" x 175' (2100") Peach Wrapping Paper for Beef Briskets - USA Made - All Natural FDA Approved Food Grade BBQ Meat Smoking Paper - Unbleached Unwaxed Uncoated Sheet

Pink Butcher Paper also known as peach paper or the BBQ paper. It is highly popular among BBQ professionals for wrapping briskets/meat for smoking. This is because foil is non-porous and it does not allow the steam to escape during smoking. It will condense and in turn, soil the crispy bark of the meat. A highly porous butcher paper solves most of these issues by allowing the steam to escape, while keeping the contents protected from the full assault of the smoker.

✮ 100% MADE IN USA ✮ FINEST QUALITY ✮ AUTHENTIC TEXAS STYLE ✮ STRONG AND DURABLE ✮ MULTI-PURPOSE FOOD SERVING ✮

Why tenderlicious Butcher Paper ?
mN3c7PKmSjGh._UX300_TTW__.jpg

• Our paper, made in USA, has been around since 1982. Using our specially formulated treatment, the internal paper structure has been strengthen, such that it will not fall apart easily when it is soaked with oil or water. This wet strength property makes it perfect for wrapping food/meat with high oil or fat content.

• It is also unbleached and approved as safe for direct food contact. Although you can technically use any kind of kraft paper for food, you have no idea what are the chemicals used in the manufacturing, which may be harmful to your body.

• For BBQ enthusiasts out there, being food grade is still not enough and doesn’t mean it’s fine to use in the smoker. Freezer paper, for example, has a layer of polyethylene plastic that will melt at 180f. Thus, it’s important for the paper to be uncoated and unwaxed as well.

Reactions: Cowgirljac
I use pink paper as well but i wouldn’t even bother using it on a point. You don’t need it. Plenty of fat in a point.

You’ll have great bark on that point in an mes if you don’t wrap it. I’ve done dozens in my mes smokers with and without pink paper. Bark is good both ways.

Good luck
Scott

I do whole briskets all the time unwrapped and have nice bark and only smoke at 225. It does take a long time. It just seems as soon as some one says something about unwrapped others have to jump in right away and say you have to wrap. Why?? I've had a lot of success with unwrapped smoking ribs briskets and pork.

Warren

I do whole briskets all the time unwrapped and have nice bark and only smoke at 225. It does take a long time. It just seems as soon as some one says something about unwrapped others have to jump in right away and say you have to wrap. Why?? I've had a lot of success with unwrapped smoking ribs briskets and pork.

Warren

Who jumped in and said, "you have to wrap"... ??

Dave

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I use pink paper as well but i wouldn’t even bother using it on a point. You don’t need it. Plenty of fat in a point.

You’ll have great bark on that point in an mes if you don’t wrap it. I’ve done dozens in my mes smokers with and without pink paper. Bark is good both ways.

Good luck
Scott
Fingers crossed! Currently stuck in the stall... but dinner should be good tomorrow :)

Who jumped in and said, "you have to wrap"... ??

I think Aaron Franklin popularized it, but he uses a huge stick burner. Nothing like MES tho, so no wrap. I think MES needs all the help it can and even plan to do a pellicle when I do my brisket. Also he does a looooong rest. Many think this is actually the key and not the butcher paper... I do.

Rooting for ya cowgirl!

Reactions: Cowgirljac
Well I'm in the no wrap crowd, UNLESS the brisket is being stubborn & everybody is hungry. Then I will crank the temp up & foil it. Never tried butcher paper, but I understand the principal behind it. I also do my briskets at 270-280.
Al

Thank for your input everyone. The brisket came out really good! The bark was great and it was fork tender. I’m feeling very accomplished:)

Attachments

• 86BD64FD-C158-42DB-B297-F9BBDB3DF4EF.jpeg
    86BD64FD-C158-42DB-B297-F9BBDB3DF4EF.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 70
I bought paper but have yet to use it. I always do my briskets over night and give myself plenty of time. If it's done early then I have no problem resting it for 4 hours before slicing. I am never displeased so I have had no reason to change it up and use the paper. I might experiment on my next pork butt and use the paper just to see what happens.

I use wrapping paper quite a bit and have had great results. I have been using a Pink Butcher Paper from Anders General Store that I like and buy online from Amazon...Gotta luv Amazon Prime:) Below is the link if you are interested.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky