Brisket Experiment for Bark

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
anyone inject their brisket??? I never have but have read about it, I like the merinate it with a nice rub the night before and then put it on the smoker. Thought about trying to inject to try it but would like some input on it??

anyone inject their brisket??? I never have but have read about it, I like the merinate it with a nice rub the night before and then put it on the smoker. Thought about trying to inject to try it but would like some input on it??

Lots of guys inject their brisket, but be warned if you do you must get the internal meat temp up to 135 in 4 hours. If you don't inject or put your meat probe in at first you don't have to worry about that rule.

Lots of guys inject their brisket, but be warned if you do you must get the internal meat temp up to 135 in 4 hours. If you don't inject or put your meat probe in at first you don't have to worry about that rule.

Yep, if you stick it, you need to follow the rule, and it can change your normal game plan for smoke chamber temps quite a bit in order to make the time-line.

Eric

Alright, thanks for the advice guys. Whats yall's opinion on Rubbing your brisket the night before, Is there anything that can be done to get the flavor of the rub to penetrate the brisket better?? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question haha i just try to learn all i can on smoking, it's a passion of mine.

Alright, thanks for the advice guys. Whats yall's opinion on Rubbing your brisket the night before, Is there anything that can be done to get the flavor of the rub to penetrate the brisket better?? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question haha i just try to learn all i can on smoking, it's a passion of mine.
I'm no expert, but I put my rub on the night before and wrap in plastic wrap.  Sometimes I score the fat cap with a knife in a cris cross pattern.  It's been my experience that  the saltier rubs seems to penetrate the meet deeper but also makes the finished brisket saltier.

Great looking brisket.  I have done brisket many ways and I now leave the fat cap on but trim it down to about no thicker than 1/4 inch

I always inject with beef broth mixed with 2tbs of my rub.  It isn't a must thing but I and others can tell when I do not.  One thing if it is injected you must follow the 40-140 F in 4 hrs or less rule as it is no longer virgin muscle.  Not hard to do at all. 

On edit:  You want the rub flavor to penetrate more this is one way to do it.

Last edited:
Good deal thanks for the advice, I'll rub it the night before like i always do and try scoring the fat cap after i trim it down and then wrap her up in saran wrap.

Here's a shot of the brisket. Didn't foil it, just let it go to 205, then sliced it. You can see how moist it is with great bark.

7cd9a803_4-2-1123.jpg

Al, what temp was this at? For how long?

Nice picture, not a better feeling when you have the perfect piece of meat come off the smoker! Have a good one and smoke it up!

Beef benefits from time...You can rub and let it age in the Refer, uncovered and away from other foods, for a Week!...Flavor penetration and tenderizing...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky