brisket crazy ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
let me start by saying i do like brisket however with that said , i don't understand why people cook so many of them
its not my favorite choice of meat. mainly because i don't like having that strip of fat in the middle of the lean meat when i slice it, i end up cutting the fat strip out leaving me with two thin strips of lean meat to put on my plate ,,but i do agree they can taste great, but in my opinion not worth the effort ( even though i do cook them from time to time )

• Sad
Reactions: chilerelleno
I absolutely love brisket, but it is such a rich meat. When done right, there's nothing better. I only smoke 2 or 3 packers a year.

I will pick up brisket points on sale and make chili, stews, and soups. A couple hours smoke, cube, then braise with the ingredients and you have melt-in-your-mouth goodness.

I like a good brisket but with that said since it's just the wife and I we do more chuck roasts then briskets

I think I have done upwards of 200 briskets over the years. I have done five in the last two weeks. None of which were for our personal use all by requests coming from friends for various gatherings. It is beyond a doubt the undisputed king of bbq imo.

I use a offset stick burner and there is nothing else I cook that gives me more satisfaction. It never disappoints it just needs time and patience. The strip of fat you are referring to is in the point not the lean or the flat. Personally I think most people don’t trim aggressively enough. I do an aggressive backyard trim but not as aggressive as a restaurant trim. You just have to come to terms with you paid X amount of $$ for that brisket and you are cutting away 30% of it or more before it hits the first kiss of smoke. That’s just the way it is.
I trimmed a 18lb prime brisket this morning that probably came in at 12lbs after trim and will be closer to ten after the cook. But it will be worth every trim and every hour of time.

Reactions: SmokinAl
I absolutely love brisket, but it is such a rich meat. When done right, there's nothing better. I only smoke 2 or 3 packers a year.

I will pick up brisket points on sale and make chili, stews, and soups. A couple hours smoke, cube, then braise with the ingredients and you have melt-in-your-mouth goodness.
Wish I could find points around here. Only thing I ever see is flats.

Reactions: jond36 and DougE
i think i cook on average 1 per year ,smoke waaay more turkeys for people around the holidays than i ever did briskets...maybe its a regional thing

I love brisket and have been doing a lot of chuck roast lately. My favorite is brisket but never done dino ribs. I have cooked 5 pork shoulders a brisket, 3 racks of ribs, 4 chuck roasts, and a partridge in a pear tree in the last 3 weeks but we have 7 people in the house and all my children have friends over constantly, the circus is always in town here.

if i had 7 people in my house i might cook more brisket too haha + a whole a whole lotta hamburgers !!!!

Got 1/2 brisket left after grinding 1/2 this weekend, I'm burned out temporarily lol , best burgers I have made in a long time, going to grind 1/4 and freeze the other 1/4 lol

To each their own. I absolutely love brisket but I don't do it as often because of the time it takes.

Well it’s just my wife & myself most of the time, so we do maybe 1 or 2 briskets a year. But since we only do a couple, I make sure to buy at least Prime. After eating a couple of meals, then slicing, cubing, and vac packing the leftovers, we have a bunch of ready to eat meals.
Al

Brisket is not my favourite to eat but is my favourite to cook. I enjoy preparing it and sharing it with my guests, especially if I get it right.

A properly smoked prime brisket point, served at precisely the right time with respect to letting it rest, is the best food God ever created in my humble opinion. I only buy points - not interested in the flat at all.

I like my steaks seared on the outside and and rare on the inside, so there's that too.

I only recently began experimenting with smoking brisket because after trying almost every brisket joint around Austin (and Lockhart) for years, I was just never that impressed with any of them. I mean the briskets were OK, but no where near the hype. I used to joke that they all make the exact same thing, the exact same way, with the exact same sauce, and they all claim theirs is the best... :emoji_laughing:

After figuring out how to smoke brisket I stunned myself just how good a brisket can be - at first I thought it was an accident but when you get-em right they are excellent.

I think the brisket joints have to keep their briskets in a steamer after they are done because there is no way to time em to come out exactly at lunch time - and sitting in a steamer too long just takes something out of them...

Just my 2-cents.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky