Brinkman vs. Chargriller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I tested my wife's good nature with a purchase of an 8" & 10" Wusthof chef's knives. They were such a good deal that I couldn't pass them up. However, $200.00 on a couple of knives is enough to send any wife over the edge. But... I was in luck, and she needs her hair and nails done, so we're even! :) Come to think of it, you could have bought a smoker for what I paid for a couple of knives.

Congrats! You can make a temporary baffle with foil, and it will really help the performance. If you have any question, just let me know.

Why do we worry about the cost of a smoker which will be used to feed the family or others....but, turn a blind eye to the new clothes, and countless shoes they bring in the home?

I started to ask my wife this question, and the wind blew outside the window as if to remind me how cold it can get sleeping outside at night...

One day will ask this question, just not this day.

It was mentioned earlier in the posts abt how wobbly the CG was. Well, what do you expect with a young person putting it together making 8 bucks an hour..... and probably with no mechanical ability.... let along knowing which way to turn the nut on the bolt.....

Do you really think he is going to tighten them up to make it more solid.... let alone make it level and square......NOT.....

I bought mine on Dec 31st of last year.... put it together, and made sure it was level and square, then tightened it all up. Sure is solid...... I like it so much, that when I just saw the main chamber on sale at a local store for $64.99, I grabbed me one. Now to find me a side fire box on sale.

I can't tell you anything about the Brickman, but I would vote for the CG any day....

Bill

I have to say I have the brinkman off set like the chargriller and it has given me what I think now is about 4 years of great service. After I did the mods to it, it has been working great. Right now I am working on my double barrel upgrade. The only thing I do not like about is that the temps in the chamber very a lot and you do not have a lot of room because of the off set box.

Ok newbie question here. bskd? i think i got the gosm. Is there a list of these abbreviations anywhere?
Thanks!

Smoke on the water, have you made your decision yet?

If it helps I have a BSKD and love it.

A few things though, It does need a few mods one being the deflector.
I also added firebrick to the firebox and the chamber to help maintain the heat,

I also found that she likes to set her own temp. Usually around 215 at the top of the smoker. If I do not fight her on what temp she will sit right around 215 with min effort.

Originally I got it to hold salami because I could hang them in there but have yet to do a batch.

It has less room than you might think, for space look at the Char-griller

It sure is. With water in teh water pan and the firebrick she maintains the heat pretty well. I found it at Menards at the end of season (Spring time)

It was fairly inexpensive.

When I used to BBQ in the old days, I added sand to the bottom of my charcoal grill. Cut my charcoal bill in half and the heat is more constant. I firebricked my permanent grill and found the same advantages.

What do the baffles do ?? Move the heat more to the center ??

Also have seen posts the gassers use wood first, then switch to gas for convience on the same smoker.. Any thoughts..??

I am new to all this so this info is great. I want to get one but i can't seem to find one for sale in my area. I see one online for $350+shipping. Then From Brinkmann themselves for over $550. Any ideas would help me out!

Thanks
Tim

One other thing on the BSKD, if it's like the New Braunfels true twin, is that it is a fuel hog. But other than that I love mine. I have one of the original NB's with the heavier steel and it's been through a flood that went up past the firebox and sat around the backyard for awhile while we did cleanup and restoration on the house. It rusted a little so I just sanded it and treated it and it's been going strong for almost 10 yrs or so if I remember correct. It's about do for some more cosmetic work though.

I still have not been able to find any for a reasonable price. Cheepest online so far is $350+.

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky