• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Brining - can you reuse the mixture?

trikefreak

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 21, 2013
My first brine is setting with a turkey until Thursday, and it got me wondering. Can you keep adding meats to the brine, or is it "dangerous" to keep using it?

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Do not reuse the brine.... The chemistry has changed....

Dave

asfastasitgets

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 27, 2013
Search here for 'stringy brine'. 'Nuff said.

Salt is cheap, and so is water. Hospital bills are not.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 15, 2011
Poultry is notorious for its propensity to develop salmonella. Salmonella can be fatal and is always a very bad infection. Why would you risk it?

piaconis

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 9, 2012
I'm smoking both turkey and turkey parts this Thankgiving, and I +1 all of the above posts.  Separate brines are the way to go.

First, as Dave said, the chemistry changes.  I'm no chemist, but as I understand it, brine works by using the process of osmosis to carry flavors and moisture through the meat.  At the optimal point of the brine where pressure becomes neutral and the flavors circulate freely, the bird and solution are at equilibrium, meaning there has been change in the solution balance of both the bird, and the brine.  So after you started your turkey in the brine, it weakened it, making it less effective on anything else.

Second, you're essentially providing a breeding ground for contaminants.  There is plenty of nasty stuff that is slowed in its growth in the fridge, but not stopped.  Plus, by taking items out and adding them in, you are increasing the number of opportunities to introduce even more contaminants.

Like they said above...water and salt are cheap.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.