Brining and smoking whole small fish?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gellfex

Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
I've done plenty of blue fillets, but never whole fish. I've searched recipes for whitefish, thinking that's a pretty common fish to see smoked whole, but not found much. What I'm thinking of smoking is porgies, AKA scup in New England. A chef/fisherman friend (with a youtube channel, can I link it here?) says they're oily, which never occurred to me. But oily fish smoke best, so I want to give it a go with fish 12-14".

What I'd like to know is how long to brine and at what salt concentration? Also how long to smoke? Seems to me whole fish would take a whole lot longer to both brine and smoke than fillets. I also saw some posts about drying them at 100 before even hitting them with smoke. I did not get a good feel for how to go about this, so I'm asking. I have an MES30 with external smoke generator, so temp control is not a problem.

I do trout
2 Quarts water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup Spiced Rum
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoning salt

Brine 8-12 hours

Pat dry put on rack with sticks opening to form pellicle

Smoke at 125-150 for 30-40 mins

Bump up to 220 to finish internal temp 145

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky