Brining a Turducken...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokedlover

Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Portland, OR
I have a friend who is a butcher that has a turducken already assembled from a fantastic local purveyor of fowl. It is now mine:) My question is: Has anyone brined an already built turducken vs. individual pieces and is there any concern over time/ penetration?

I never have but I would imagine it would be problematic with all of the stuff stuffed inside the turducken. If there is any bread stuffing in it that would be a disaster. I would imagine any rice stuffing may swell up on you or disinegrate.
Keep that in mind and either way let us know what you do :)

I never have but I would imagine it would be problematic with all of the stuff stuffed inside the turducken. If there is any bread stuffing in it that would be a disaster. I would imagine any rice stuffing may swell up on you or disinegrate.
Keep that in mind and either way let us know what you do :)
100% agreed on the stuffing. I will inquire as to what / how much they put in and respond back.

Turducken is confirmed 17 lbs of meat - zero stuffing. Brine the whole thing then stuff the cavity?

I've never done one but the ones I have seen would likely go that route.
Brine, then rinse and pat dry, then put a different stuffing for each layer. That is my understanding of it's construction :)

I would confirm from your buddy that there was no salt or seasoning added during the build. I would expect there is.

I would hesitate to brine a turducken. There were probably a lot of seasonings added during construction; you may not get much, if any, added flavor by brining, and you might do harm.

I would definitely brine it & use cure#1. I have done these before & I can tell you that unless you smoke it at a high temp the middle will never reach 140 in 4 hours. If it's brined & injected with cure #1 you don't have to worry about the 4 hour rule. I would just use Pop's brine & use 2 TBS of cure#1 per gallon of water & brine for 24-48 hours.
Al

I see not a reason one why ya can't brine it. I would inject as much brine as ya can all over that contraption. Cause it ain't gonna reach the middle anytime soon. Then smoke no lessin 325 cause that be a big piece a meat an poultry likes higher temps any who.

Thanks all- it has nothing added- all natural Shelton brand turkey, duck, and chicken. Was going to brine the whole thing for about 24 hours. Since there isn't stuffing, do you think injecting is still necessary? Would like to keep it around 250 vs. 325 to slow it down and not have the exterior of the turkey get higher temp and dry out. Going to dry rub either way..
Thanks again for the advice.

I would definitely inject it, the brine will never get to the center, unless you unwrap the whole thing.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky