Brined? Frenched? Rubbed? Smoked? Glazed? Cheap Pork Roast!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WOW Kevin!

That's a home run for sure!

Point!

Al
If you can put the smoke on it, nearly everything benefits!

Thank you 

That looks great!  I love buying that cut too!  The local supermarkets practically give it away.  definitely going to try that brine recipe!  Points for sure!
I really disliked pork chops (except momma's but hey..), until I learned about brining. It makes all the difference in that dry cardboard tasting meat!

Thanks

Wow!!
icon14.gif

That looks Awesome, Foamy!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Fantastic Job!!
icon14.gif

Bear
It was pretty tastee Bear

Thank you

That one's a home run Kevin!  I don't do enough pork roasts...this reminds me that I should do 'em more often.  Yours looks absolutely terrific!  Point!  
icon14.gif

Red
Man with the grocery prices esculating so fast I look for the old time foods I had as a kid. Back then Mom and Dad could make anything tender and delicious. The poorest cuts then are now too expensive. LOL  Hard to beat pork chops.

Thank you

Yum I saw this last night and had to pick up the pork to try it out this weekend I hope mine turns out as good as yours
Remember the brine, 24 to 48 hours it makes all the diffrence!

Nothing special, just smoke and a little patience.

Thank you
Never seen bone in loin like that around here. I guess I'll have to ask for it. I'll bet your brine, rub and glaze would work just fine with plain old loin, which is on sale a lot here!
Gonna try it, though I'll have to use store bought jelly...
Love the looks of those beans, too [emoji]9786[/emoji]️
Points for the fancy twine tie treatment!
Dan
Sure it works on a loin, but loins are generally more expensive. This is pork chops, cheap meat, primative loin....LOL

The green beans and Sweet taters just perfectly compliment pork IMHO.

Any jelly works and you can change around, blackberry, peach, apple, my favorite is apricot. Of course kumquat is pretty dang tastee.

LOL... Thank you

Looks amazing Kevin!  
points1.png
  I Don't see bone in loins around here.

Mike
Its pork chops. I guess its could be bone in loin... When you see family packs of "pork chops" ask your butcher for a full rack divided into 3 pieces. On sale usually as cheap or cheaper than chicken.

Thanks Mike

A wonderful meal my friend. But the truss is first class.  Were you in the Navy?  Point
LOL.... USS M.G.Vallejo, SSBN 658 (G), And and little bit on the Batfish. I like my meat trussed. It holds it shape and it maintains a consistant density which help even cooking.

Thank you and GEAUX Tech!!
That looks great. Loins are cheap here too so I'm doin your recipe for sure.
Once you learn to brine, its a whole new world smoking, grill, BBQing. I have not been able to get it to work for frying yet...LOL

Thank you.

LOL.... USS M.G.Vallejo, SSBN 658 (G), And and little bit on the Batfish. I like my meat trussed. It holds it shape and it maintains a consistant density which help even cooking.

Thank you and GEAUX Tech!!
A Boomer.  I should have guessed that. 

Thanks for the support.  Watching the game now.  Sooners up 6.  ..dang it

You've got a head butt with Ol' Miss in 30 minutes.  GEAUX LSU!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you're doing well down there my friend.

B

Great looking dinner!! Did you smoke the cinnamon powder? POINTS

Hope you avoided the flood.
No, I didn't smoke the cinnamin. Its been in the pantry with others spices and stuff gives like forever. I am gonna have to chase it down.

Thank you.
Welcome back buddy and good Lord what a Q view to come back with. Yum!
Randy,
I was just having problems, I lurk alot but RL can sure slow your spare time down.

Thank you

Smoked Tomahawk pork chops!  Points.
That would be sooooo simple to start at home and finsh at the camp, which is were everyone is this weekend.>>>LOL 

It is so beautiful outside.

Thank you

This looks really good, Foam. I really love how you made such a great presentation!

Disco

A Boomer.  I should have guessed that. 

Thanks for the support.  Watching the game now.  Sooners up 6.  ..dang it

You've got a head butt with Ol' Miss in 30 minutes.  GEAUX LSU!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you're doing well down there my friend.

B
Doing well..... 

This looks really good, Foam. I really love how you made such a great presentation!

Disco
Thanks Disco, its not presentation, its sjust a plate fulla food.... the good china too!

I'm sitting about 10 minutes from the Batfish right now. Our 5 year old loves to go there and explore.

You're not old enough to have served on her during WWII (least I don't think you are). New Orleans while she was there or during Korea?

Hi Foam  Just picked up a rack like yours..What temp did you take it too 145*?

I had asked  them too remove the chine bone his reply was it all ready to be sliced..Last time I smoked the rib roast like this I had to slice it thick cause of the bone on the bottom/chine bone?

Thanks Dan

PS Your roast  looks great, hope mine comes out close to yours.
drool.gif

Last edited:

I'm sitting about 10 minutes from the Batfish right now. Our 5 year old loves to go there and explore.

You're not old enough to have served on her during WWII (least I don't think you are). New Orleans while she was there or during Korea?
The Tiru SS 416, was more like the boat you are referring to I am guessing, They are or were called pig boats. They are all gone now, The Tiru was the last comissioned man-of-war in the Atlantic. I thought we sold her to the Turk's, but later heard she was made into razor blades as so many of our WWII surplus was. You had to respect a pig boat sailor, we would have lost WWII without them.

<Chuckles> More than one boat has carried the name. USS Batfish SSN 681, I only made one op run, I was TAD. So basically not only was I not part of the crew, I was a raisin non-qual puke non-member of the crew, temporary. LOL No movies for me! LOL

Hi Foam  Just picked up a rack like yours..What temp did you take it too 145*?

I had asked  them too remove the chine bone his reply was it all ready to be sliced..Last time I smoked the rib roast like this I had to slice it thick cause of the bone on the bottom/chine bone?

Thanks Dan

PS Your roast  looks great, hope mine comes out close to yours.
drool.gif

When I cook one of these, I want to cut it thick cut. I mean as a big healthy joung man you'd eat at least 2 maybe three of those paper thin chops wouldn't ya? When you drop a whole rib on a plate, people are impressed. Besides it's just a cheap pork chop. Don't chew the bone even though you want too. Let the dog have a big night also! Neighbor had a rotweiller and anytime he got out he was sitting at my smoker with his tail wagging...LOL

Its really easy, its all about the brine, and that last min. glaze.

Thank you

The Tiru SS 416, was more like the boat you are referring to I am guessing, They are or were called pig boats. They are all gone now, The Tiru was the last comissioned man-of-war in the Atlantic. I thought we sold her to the Turk's, but later heard she was made into razor blades as so many of our WWII surplus was. You had to respect a pig boat sailor, we would have lost WWII without them.

<Chuckles> More than one boat has carried the name. USS Batfish SSN 681, I only made one op run, I was TAD. So basically not only was I not part of the crew, I was a raisin non-qual puke non-member of the crew, temporary. LOL No movies for me! LOL
The submarine I'm referring to is the USS Batfish SS 310, indeed a Balao class sub like the Tiru. It didn't even enter my thoughts that there has been more than one Batfish
sorry.gif

The SS 310 Batfish is currently in dry dock at War Memorial Park in Muskogee, OK and has been since July 4, 1972 after being brought up the Mississippi and Arkansas Rivers to Muskogee by tug. http://warmemorialpark.org/u-s-s-batfish/  If you're ever up this way it is a pretty neat memorial to a somewhat forgotten part of military history.

If I remember right the Tiru was a Guppy boat, wasn't it? Been a while (15+ years) since I was really into WWII sub history but that seems to stick in my mind.

Hi All Here is what I'm smoking..WSM 275* with KBB & apple wood. Put it on at 2 after 2 hrs the IT is already at 138, kinda fast. Was thinking of pulling at145*IT dinner is 2 hrs away. What to do?

I also have 2 racks of St Louie that I put on at 1 hr before the roast.

Wife likes thin chops but there is a bone all the way on the bottom. Take a look and tell whats best to?

Thanks Dan

Last edited:

Looks awesome Kevin....   I've gotta find me a butcher so I can try that...  pts.
Thanks Dave

Hi All Here is what I'm smoking..WSM 275* with KBB & apple wood. Put it on at 2 after 2 hrs the IT is already at 138, kinda fast. Was thinking of pulling at145*IT dinner is 2 hrs away. What to do?

I also have 2 racks of St Louie that I put on at 1 hr before the roast.

Wife likes thin chops but there is a bone all the way on the bottom. Take a look and tell whats best to?

Thanks Dan

Sorry for the late reply.

275 is kinda high. But you are using a firebreather. I normally smoke about 220. Its just what the smoker likes. On this, I use an electric and actually throw it in about 2 PM for supper. And check it about an hour and a half in. I did the other loin today and turned it down to 180 degrees. Its really not about the cooking as much as the smoking. I'd probably choke the air down which would slow it down.

I hope it was delicious. I bet it was.

Pull it at 145 and wrap and rest it till dinner time.  It looks great!

Mike
Thanks Mike, 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky